Best sound in old late 70s early 80s receivers

People seem to be quite impressed with the sound of some of the large receivers from the good old days when they are hooked up to good cable and a good source. Anybody have any opnionsor first hand experience on what some of the best sounding receivers from the late 70s early 80s are. Pioneer, Marantz, Sanusui, Kenwood? Not counting the NAD 7020. Thanks,keith
128x128geph0007
I forgot to mention, before you buy, try to find out a little history on the receiver you intend to purchase. Try to buy from the original owner and find out if the receiver ever needed repair. If it has been repaired I would pass.
At the factory parts were closely matched for the best sound. If the receiver ever needed repair, especially outputs, you can bet there was no matching. The end result is bad sound quality.
Kyocera made some fantastic receivers. The 851 was as good as anything I have ever heard and I was in the business from '73 to '97. And it will drive most speakers well unlike the low current receivers of today (and most of the 80s & 90s).
This is an old post, but still to this day I have not heard anything that plays as sweet as my 100% rebuilt Pioneer SX-1250 running a pair of  Revel F-30s. Just a real treat to listen to. Awesome tuner, 165WPC min. cant stay in the room with the volume past 1 oclock, just amazing clean clear sound on any program from classics to hard rock and metal. Can't say enough good things about it
@rrog
Marantz has never been owned by Sony. Marantz was owned by Superscope from 1964 to 1980 and by Phillips until 2001. They’re currently a property of D&M Holdings.

As far as Marantz goes, the 2270 gets all kinds of love, but I’m skeptical of the adorations on account of so very few having been restored or given the complicated adjustments they require. It’s also got a just barely adequate power supply.
The 2230 is a reliable example of the better Marantz sound. I’m not sure I’m the biggest fan of the Marantz 3 martini sound though. I have a recapped 2252 that delivers a crisp, lively sound with a healthy punch as long as you don’t challenge it’s ability to deliver most of it’s power. I like that thing. I don’t have a lot of respect for the 1978 and later gear, even the big 2500 and 2600, because they’re quite visibly built to a lesser standard when you crack one open.

When it comes to vintage receivers I stick with Marantz. They never used glue that turns conductive and corrosive and destroys the unit like Sansui and Pioneer did. HK stuff is good, but I’ve seen some odd manufacturing errors in some of their stuff.

The Fisher tube receivers are nice old stuff too. That stuff was all point to point wired and sounded good.

In any event, all the stuff up to the early 80’s absolutely requires work and a complete recap job at this point.