Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Newbee,

I had to order from Europe, but finally obtained the Grechaninov disc.
”Snowflakes” is delightful  I also love “Missa Sancti Spiritus.”
I haven’t listened to the symphony yet, but will.
Thanks for the recommendation!
You made my day rvpiano .
The Frank has always been a favorite of mine , usually have 3-4 different renditions .
I remember the first time I heard this one thinking "so that’s how you do it" !
And I had heard great artists , Menuhin and his sister, do it live .As you
no doubt know, Chung has had many health problems , her technique is nowhere as good as it once was, but hearing her live recently was a masterclass.Still a magnificent musician and damn the technique .
Lupu is Lupu . Like Liszt was Lizst .

P.S. I hope you haven’t forgotten how fine his String Quartet in D is .
Used to have a killer version of that by the Fitzwilliam Qt. on Decca .
 It surely must be one of the hardest Qt's to play in the rep, about like late  LvB .

rvpiano, Glad you enjoyed Grechaninov. I think few people have heard this music, too bad. :-)

Now for something else that I consider absolutely delightful. Debussy's La Boite a Joujoux  and Rossini/ Respighi's La Boutique Fantasique. Toy boxes and toy shops.
The former I have on a CD by Tortelier and the Ulster Orchestra (with Ravel's Me Mere l'Oye - Mother Goose ballet) on Chandos, and the latter on a Telarc CD with Rachmaninoff/Respighi's Cinq Etudes-Tableaux as a disc mate.

Now for something a tad more contemporary, but both tonal and very assessible as well as engaging - Menotti. A compilation of his works on a Chandos CD by Richard Hickox and the Spotelo Festival Orchestra. I discovered Menotti on another disc which contains Sebastian and Amahl and the Night Visitors (as well as Samuel Barber's Souvenirs ballet suite). A Koch CD. Also an excellent recording which I've loved for over 25 years.

Hope some of this works for you.
I played today soundtrack Madam Sousatzka. The piano sounds so clean there. 
Now you've mentioned Lupu, one of my all-time-favorite piano recordings is Lupu with Brahms Op. 117, 118, 119.  Sublime music played sublimely.