Musician vs. audiophile

We need direction here. My wife, a musician and says my Sophia 3s, powered by BAT 3VK IX tube pre amp and 250w solid state amp sounds flat compared to a freaking Best Buy box store McIntosh/Martin Logan setup...  I can't honestly disagree, specifically when our rig is at low volume.  It lacks color and punch, even with 2ea. JL 12" subs... Help me with your recommendation, please!!!      
repeter
As to musicians and  possibility of being tone deaf I think Beethoven said it best 'Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.  Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents.'  I think he has proved admirably that even having lost most of his hearing he created proven master pieces in music.
Musicians may not be a reliable source of information regarding audio systems since they may have diminished hearing due to hearing loss from being surrounded by high volume for extended periods of time.
Voicing is what it’s called and what you are up against.

It takes a lot of thought, time, money, trial, and error to get a system to work well together. That includes the room too. Personally I’ve experienced similar issues when moving to a new home. In my situation I bought another system that I run in another room.

I plan on moving eventually to a place where I can adapt or build a proper listening room. I think that we all would like that. Best of luck

Keep in mind that audiophiles listen and consume the product. Musicians, when they listen, spend a lot of time thinking about how they will produce the product. I have watched this happen dozens of times over the decades. 

I may have missed it, but what type of music does your wife play?

As a student of Yehudi Menuhin (while he was still alive), as well as some great jazz violinists, the big problem for me is getting midrange frequencies accurate with great resolution. When I say "midrange", I do not want to fall into the trap of how many frequencies can dance on the head of a pin in the midrange (e.g., I have read comments in TAC, Stereophile and elsewhere about "upper midrange", "lower midrange", etcetera). 

Bass and treble are much easier for audio speakers (systems) to reproduce, but the analytic separation of strings in orchestral music seems quite challenging for most audio systems.

If I was still playing the violin 6 - 8 hours a day, especially during performances, the last thing I would want at the end of the day would be to listen to more music, unless it was more rehearsal time.

-Gerry

@swampwalker  +1 I was going to mention the IEM's but you beat me to it !!

@czarivey  I am a lifelong musician (over 40 years playing) and have 2 sets of Wilsons. Just sayin.....