Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I agree with Schubert.  The doctor had very eclectic, excellent taste.
I think that it would be difficult and not very helpful for us to start picking choices for you.
That would be our taste. You should develop your own taste.

Schubert has some very good guidelines above.
Start with the more well known composers.
In my experience, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mozart and Vivaldi appeal to neophytes most.  The doctor’s taste was quite far reaching, so you might find other composers that appeal to you.
It can be an exciting venture of discovery for you.

Have fun!
Thanks to all you guys for the feedback!  This really helps to let me know what I have.  Again, I really appreciate all the responses.

Happy new year!!!
sevs, you are more than welcome . Does an old mans heart good to read your post !
A composer that is hardly unknown , Ralph Vaughan Williams, IMO still is not recorded or played enough .One of his pieces"The Lark Ascending" if not the most plain beautiful piece ever written is right up there with whatever is .

There are many fine recordings , best deal is Sarah Chang on EMI with Haitink and London SO as 4 other of his most popular works are a bonus .
If you feel like crying{no joke} the recent one with Nicola Benedetti will get you there .

To all , I don’t think Telemann has been mentioned, Bach’s buddy and his near equal wrote about
as much music as anyone has and it’s all worth listening to .A half-dozen
of his works were attributed to Back for several centuries and nobody was the wiser .

A compilation of his best Concertos are on EMI 5 034345-2 with Berlin Baroque Soloists , His One for Oboe d’amore and Viola d’amore is to die for. Sound is excellent, I used this for years as my demo CD for purchases .

sfseay:

Can you provide a link to your Audiogon advertisement? Doesn't come up in my search.

@scott_w my Oh, God! moment happened at the sweet age of 10+, when my parents dragged me, screaming and kicking, at Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto.  That a-ha moment was unforgettable! What a terrible blow to my convictions that BoneyM and BeeGees is an epitome of musical progression to Heaven!