Chromecast and external DAC

I’m trying to set up a budget system to stream Tidal and Chromecast Audio caught my attention. I have a Schiit Multibit on the way and was wondering if anyone uses Chromecast Audio as the streaming source and if so, have you tried using an external DAC with it. It apparently has optical and a micro USB ports and I would be interested in using the USB port on the Modi.
Anyone tried such a set up? How’s the sound quality?
Thanks in advance.
128x128kalali
Good to hear you are happy. However, I noticed I forgot to include the link to the measurements of the analogue output: http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio.html It is fine at 16/44 but measurably struggles at higher resolutions. With the analogue output there is something else to be aware of, however, since Google confuses the issue. There is an option for what they call High Dynamic Range, and you would think that is good news. However, in reality dynamic range is just the same as the default setting. The only difference is a higher output voltage. Standard is some 1.2 Volt if I remember correctly and HDR is the CD red book standard 2.0 Volt. As it so happens, that 2.0 Volt is pretty high for many analogue input stages, potentially leading to clipping of the input signal (my hunch is that a lot of what people call digital harshness is actually this input clipping). So in many systems the default may actually be better than the tempting High Dynamic Range. With the digital output this is not an issue, of course.
@kalali .. glad you like the little gizmo, it's very cool tech. It's pretty close in sound quality compared to my Node 2 when using the Bifrost Multibit. In fact, I'm not sure I have a clear preference. The CA can also be used via analog-in into the Node 2 for non-supported services like Pandora and Google Play. Such a versatile little device! BTW, I had the Lifatec cable in storage, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with a cable costing more than twice the price of the CA. Have fun. Best.
I followed @willemj advice and for a month now stream "90 days free" Tidal thru Chromecast into Wadia 781i DAC. Sounds very good! Upgraded $5 generic mini-Toslink to WireWorld Supernova-6 glass mini and the sound got "snappier", the way Naim-head like me likes it! No double-blind testing here, so maybe its just in my head... Again, the only reason for Toslink upgrade was because I misread Wadia manual that it sounds its best with "glass optical" not realizing that its a separate proprietary input, not just plastic vs glass Toslink. Stupid me! But used $40 WireWorld off eBay does seem to sound better. Not as good as CD/SACD replay, but those who actually know what they r talking about say that Wadia is at its best as a transport-DAC, not just DAC

The only reason for my future upgrade from Chromecast would be because Chromecast won’t stream gigabytes of tunes off my laptop, but I can live with that: gives me an excuse to use my dozen modded iPods and Pono player ;-)

at the end of the day I cannot say if it was @willemj or Tidal’s free trial that pushed me into streaming, considering dozens of CDs in my collection still unopened I am glad that I fell for it!

P.S. Tidal gave me an excuse to fire up (the first time in 20 years in my case!) Nakamichi cassette deck! As long as I keep my Tidal subscription (and I will) I can listen to the tunes "softened up" by cassette replay!! Long live Perfect Sound Forever dumbed down to analog ;-)
The Chromecast Audio can also stream from your laptop if you use BubbleUPnP.

So I waited until I got the optical cable to give some more feedback on my experience with Chromecast Audio. In the meantime I let the Modi to soak in and also got the cable adapter to connect my iPhone to the USB port on the Modi. Streaming the same song using Tidal HiFi, the sound quality using the iPhone -> USB is clearly better than the Chromecast using the optical output and significantly better than the Chromecast analog output. The analog output is noticeably more veiled in comparison. I’m of course using different cables for each scenario but they are all moderately priced so that should not be a factor. The optical and USB ports on the Modi also appear to have similar specs. Anyway, I still say its worth the $35 selling price just for the convenience it adds to stream wirelessly but in my set up and to my ears, the phone/tablet -> USB connection is far superior.

I was tempted to take it downstairs and do a comparison with my Bluesound Node 2 in my main system but I figured it would ultimately be pointless since there are too many differences between the two set ups to draw any meaningful conclusions. Everything from a dedicated 20 amp circuit and power conditioner to cables and speakers and everything in between is different.