Be Careful!

With static electricity in this cold dry winter.  I fried the right channel of my Classe Amp last night with the touch of a finger.  I usually have anti-static sheets in hand before touching anything but this time did not.

Good excuse to recap an old amp.
pops
I lived in Colorado for 9 years, recently having moved back to Michigan.  We had carpet in our basement and the static build up would make one hesitant to touch a light switch, let alone turn my gear on.  I used ACL Staticide spray.  Stuff worked like a champ.
proper equipment grounding also helps. ground->hot->neutral = voltage; neutral->ground = zero. micropore soles are static resistant, but finding such foot wear is challenge. sneaker soles will get ya couple of farads per each foot I guess and you can probably give it back to electric company LOL via powerful 10M resistor HAHA!

About a month ago with almost brand new speakers, and a new tube amp I turned up the volume on my line stage and was startled by a loud snap or pop. It was dark and I might have touched the chassis but I'm just not sure. I turned down the volume, stopped the disc and heard only from the right channel and also the amp a soft pulsating, rhythmic tone from both in harmony. I turned off the cd spinner and sat for about 5 minutes listening. I could not describe the sound at the time. It wasn't a ringing, or hum but some kind of blended soft sound coming and going. This occurred the same night as when I was getting some small static shocks. My guess at the time was that the right output tube was messing up and shut down for the night.

The next night after reversing the output tubes both channels appear fine and the amp is also quiet again.

Does anyone have a good guess what happened I'm guessing from this static electricity shock?

LP
When you have a "Static", electrical problem of any type. You have an electrical charge imbalance. And that little spark you get when you touch the amp and hear the pop can be ridiculously powerfull, Which is why it can destroy the component. Why do you have a static? Too many reasons to list here. But it comes down to Ion's. Commonly you need negative ion's to balance out too many pos. ion's. I use Ionic filters which make negative ion's and also scrub the surrounding air.. You'll need to use whatever works for you. One thing to know is that the problem is an imbalance of either pos or neg charges. And for you to achieve a balance in the given area that you listen in will not only stop those nasty little shocks but "will", actually change the sound of your rig. At least to you. This is one reason sound is so subjective. Because we all use these charged Ion's which our ears then "transduce" from sound to brainwave. We all have biological chemical potentials in our ears.Your bodies "DAC" if you will. And we are all built just a little differently, "Thank God!".
     I am sure there is someone here that could expound on this better than I. I just know that I completely solved my own issue and now the room even smells nicer!
lpretiring,  electric charge on your body is "looking" for return to ground.  There will be multiple paths of return with current inversely proportional to return impedance.  I'm not sure if it can create effect, you describe, in tubes, but it is possible with semiconductors.  Perhaps your CD player was in some form of standby (necessary for remote to operate) and it contained semiconductors.  Most of integrated circuits, these days are not bipolar and often contain both NMOS and PMOS transistors.  That allows to create parasitic SCR (Thyristor) structures that can be triggered by excessive current flow.  This effect known as "Latch-up", very common about 30 years ago, was leading to equipment damage with static discharge.  It was often enough to provide more than 30mA per pin to trigger latch-up.  Circuit in latch-up was slowly heating up to the point of damage.  Since then, protection methods got implemented and circuits are safe from much higher currents, but I'm not sure if it is completely free from it.   Turning power off resets the circuit in latch-up.  My advise would be to turn power off if you experience it again.  Allowing circuit to stay in latch-up can lead to damage (overheating).  Perhaps tubes can go into similar state, but it would be better to ask tube experts like Atmasphere.