Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
o10, yes it would be fascinating to compare our respective jazz collections.  However, I'm not into computers enough that I have an inventory list to share.

But you struck again.  I also had that "Like Young" album.  Now if you remember my comments not too long ago you'll know I'm not a fan of string backgrounds for jazz, Getz's "Focus" being one exception.  So I didn't keep that particular Previn album.  I still have 4 or 5 of his trio albums however.

My greatest amazement is that you can remember buying "My Fair Lady" in the fall of '59.  As I commented recently on an audio site, I can't remember where or when I purchased hardly any of my music collection.  That has been spread out over several decades, in three separate metropolitan areas, with purchases from record stores, department stores, audio stores, audio shows, record clubs, swap meets, yard sales, on line, and having friends and family give them to me.  I know I've owned "Kind of Blue" since around 1960 for example.  But if that was '59 or '60 or '61 I really can't say.  It may have come from the Columbia Record Club, but I'm not certain.  So I admire all of you with better memories. ;^)

Pryso, I only remember early purchases because I was in the Air Force, and each new album was an event that we shared with other airmen; consequently, I remember the party surrounding the reviewing of the album. (any event was an excuse for a party). But more current albums, I only have a vague idea when I purchased them, the same as you.

Getz's "Focus" is his most interesting album;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXxybiV4Pxs&list=PLfOleD7-7Oj90W890D0puroQgM7yTR-0P

Oscar Peterson Interview:

Outstanding!!!   Very informative,  and above all, interesting.   You will never see anything like that, and that long, about Jazz / Jazz players on American TV.

When Previn made the comment about someone playing BACH with a rhythm section, was he speaking of MJQ?   I have 'Blues on Bach', which is a lot more blues than Bach.

I have the 'Solo Masterpieces' 7CD set by Art Tatum.  Not my favorite pianist, but they seem to think very highly of him and his place in Jazz  And they should know.   In my mind I always put him in the same place as Bird and Dizzy, too many notes and too fast.    I will have to revisit him.

Not once did he ask Peterson to comment on another player.  I liked that.  Most often this 'interviews' are just opportunities to fish for compliments for some up and coming player or a peer.

Thanks to The Frogman.

Cheers

BTW, Previn did slight the blues once in his comments.   I would say his playing could use a little more Blues.

I had no idea Previn was German born.  That sort of explains the Anne-Sophie Mutter thing.

Cheers