B&W 703 - How to tame the highs?

I traded up my Paradigms studio 100s this past summer for these B&W 703. I find the highs on the 703 to be a bit harsh / bright. How do I tame them? I currently have them toed in slightly towards the listener.
abb9ae7
I had B&W speakers in the CDM series which preceded the 703. The metal-domed tweeter was similar to that in the 703. The harsh and prominent highs did diminish with time over 3 years but never disappeared. The best single remedy that worked was to cut some thick felt pads and to fit them around and under the tweeter assembly using double0sided sticky tape. The felt must cover the angular edge below the tweeter to minimise diffraction effects.

But in the end I sold them to someone who thought that what emerged from them was exciting hi-fi sound.
>>I will be trading up in July, 2006. Most likely to the B&W 800 series<<

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Furthermore, you'll need monster amplification for a similiar sonic signature. There are so many far far better choices. Good luck.
Judy426 - why so harsh in your comments? What exaxcty is "similiar sonic signature"? What are your suggestions for better choices?
abb@cs.com - Judy is not being harsh, she is being honest. Sorry to offend, but B&W is "the bose of high-end." Heavily marketed, very bright and tipped up in the treble, meant to suck people in with over-emphasized bass and treble just like Bose. B&W represents the definition of what people mean when they say something is "hi-fi" sounding as oposed to "musical" sounding. The B&W 800 series are better than the 700 series, but you need very high current/wattage to make them sound halfway decent, and they will still have the problems of the 700 series, ie. tipped up treble on a harsh metal tweeter, colored midrange from that kevlar driver, just a non-coherent non-musical sound.

I personally would much rather listen to a paradigm, but does your dealer have any other lines than B&W or paradigm?
Harsh and accurate are two different concepts. You have inferred from my accurate comments that they are harsh. Not so. First, the overall sonic signature of the B&W line is one of lacking musicality. Advocates call them precise and detailed. Truthfully speaking they are dry, lifeless, and fatiguing. As I mentioned prior, you will need gobs of power to adequately drive them. This effectively eliminates most high quality tube amps in favor of the ultra high powered solid state amps such as Krell and Bryston which will drive B&W however 2 wrongs don't make a right.
There are many many others to choose from. The list includes but is not limited to (in no particular order) Green Mountain, Zu, Pro Ac, Paradigm, Coincident, Von Schweikert, Vandersteen, Silverline, Hyperion, Merlin, Quad, Usher.
Don't buy on name. It that were the case everybody would own B&W. It's a great company. Good distribution, dealers, and customer service. Bad sound. Look at the number of B&W speakers on Audiogon (over 100 pair) as we speak. There's a reason for this. Take some time and listen as opposed to reading. Get more for your hard earned money. Good luck.