Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Today's Listen:

The Clark Terry Quintet -- TOP AND BOTTOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-CW6XN1qfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL5g17q3RXA

In Baseball he would be called a damn good journeyman.   But folks like him are the backbone of Jazz.   They bring it to the masses.   After the elite innovators like Trane, had jumped the tracks, and Miles, had morphed into Sinbad, players like Terry carried on. He used to appear on the Johnny Carson show quite often back in day.  Art farmer also.

Sylvia Cuenca on drums.

Top and Bottom indeed!!!

Cheers

o10, I hope you don’t read this as my joining frogman and "piling on". As you’ve noted more than once, you and I share many musical tastes and appreciations.

For all that, I think you look at classical performances in too much of a constricted view. If you really believe "when some guy played the same identical "Bach Concerto" as another guy the night before, and someone else the night before that, I don’t see any latitude for improvisation", then I suggest you read, or re-read, my post at 10:46 PM yesterday. Even as a non-musician I easily hear different interpretations by different musicians of the same written score, be that for soloists or entire ensembles. How else would classical conductors or orchestras develop such individual reputations? There can be and are improvisations in both genres.

Yes jazz and classical are very different, but those apples and oranges can all become "juice" for those open to the tasting.

Just because music is written, does not mean all the performances will be identical.  Since we can assume any competent pianist can play the notes on the sheet of music, what separates Horowitz from any other player?

I have a billion CDs of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, but I always play Bohm-Wiener.   All of them play the same notes.

Cheers

Lightnin' Hopkins:

I remember seeing the posters and flyers when he came to my town.   I was way too young to be allowed into a Juke Joint.  Me and my 'posse' used to ride our bikes, park across the street and listen to folks like Hopkins and B.B. from the outside.   Great Bluesman.

Cheers

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming -- the music itself.

This is offered to all those who ask about Afro-Cuban, the Buena Vista Social Club, Santana, hispanic jazz, or drumming.  Just see what five percussionists and one bass player can create.  Can't say I could hum along, but I enjoyed it. ;^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPvMEZoZoZU