Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

The people who make these musical categories would not know Jerry Butler from Jerry Lewis.   I feel no compulsion to follow their lead.

Didn't Johnny Ace die playing Russian Roulette? 

Cheers

o10, it is interesting to call up popular music from the '50s.  Things were still more regional at that time.  If you could find Top Ten record lists from Boston, NYC, Philly, Detroit, Chicago, New Orleans, and LA for a given date I believe you would find quite a variety.

I remember listening to AM radio late evenings from south-central MI in the late '50s and enjoying different music from stations in Boston, New Orleans, Chicago, and a big favorite, WLAC.  (Yes, the AM band could travel long distances at night when there was less interference.)  Chicago was very similar to my local station's music but the others were all different.  But I liked WLS so often listened to that in addition to locals.

I think TV and Dick Clark changed all that.  The hit lists became almost universal.

For all that, I remember and even owned 45s of most of the songs offered here from that era.  Lovin' it!
Rok,

**** define Classical training ****

For starters, let’s try it this way. Just a few who had extensive Classical training:

Oscar Peterson
Phil Woods
Eric Dolphy
Freddie Hubbard
Cannonball Adderley
Bill Evans
Donald Byrd
Keith Jarrett
Bob Berg
Michael Brecker
Chick Corea
Phil Woods