Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2H7NZ0GNIIE

There!  It worked!

Duke:  Fabulous!  27 (!) choruses by Paul Gonzalves.  Besides being a amazing musical feat, it should not go unnoticed what a feat of physical endurance it was.  Special moment in jazz history.  And you’re right about Duke’s reed section; very unique sound.  What was special about the way that Duke and Strayhorn wrote for that reed section was that the writing was not generic.  That is not intended as a criticism of other reed sections which were written for to emphasize blend and cohesion; like a vocal group harmonizing as you correctly pointed out.  Duke wrote for his reed section in a way that capitalized on and highlighted each individual player’s unique tone and particular musical strength.  One of the things that I liked most about that reed section’s sound was the prominence of the bottom as played by Harry Carney; whereas most other reed sections have an obvious emphasis on the high “lead” sound.  
Thanks frog, I've been intending to post Super Sax for some time but always get sidetracked.
And rok, that is my favorite Ellington album.  I admit to not enjoying his music as much as many jazz fans do, I prefer Basie.  But that Newport record is too much to resist.
Wrong as usual schubert. Take some time to do the research. As above, I dig Paul Gonzalves as well. Duke was a master at building a unique sound amongst the different players.
Happy Listening!
One of Basie’s signature charts played by a band of Basie alumni (and others) and led by Frank Wess. One of the hardest things for a band to do is to be tight and swing at a very slow tempo. This chart has been done by many different bands and often they end up sounding ragged when trying to play it this slow. This rendition is amazing with beautiful blend. Check out Snooky Young’s trumpet solo; a model of simplicity and soulful tastiness!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RlX0b-AJWz4

By the Count himself:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Mtgo9WOL0
Perfect examples frog.  I don't diminish Duke's talent or all that he created, I simply prefer listening to Basie.

Personal taste and preferences are not always easy describe.  We may know where we are but not necessarily how we got there. ;^)