Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

The Count said Lester Young was the best Sax player that has ever Blown. Don’t come in here with that Trane stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrsR2pMKoa8

Cheers

Thanks rok, that's what I'm talking about.  There is just that bounce and rhythmic drive in Basie's music that pulls me along.  Doesn't matter if the tempo is fast, slow, or in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmcoZktZG4

Rok, do you know what "genocide" is? That's the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

This country watched Genocide on national television when they watched the "Katrina Aftermath" for 3 whole days on national TV. All George Bush had to do was call the disaster center at Scott AFB Ill., and go back to bed; they had the resources and were prepared to take care of everything, including coordinating "all" military resources. I know, I was stationed at Scott for four years.

That's one of the few bases where the base commander was a full bird Colonel, while there were Generals who commanded world wide movement of military resources stationed on the same base.

Many times I was awaken at 2:30 AM or some ungodly hour by someone screaming "Alert,Alert, Alert"; that meant get dressed, shagg A--, and get on the big blue bus. It was to carry us to the disaster site, where we were to give life saving first aid to the victims of this disaster, which might be real or just a drill; I was a medic.

The victims were made up to look like they had various injuries; they had a tag attached to them which we were to write down what we discovered and treatment administered. At the end of the day we were critiqued by doctors, who discussed whether our patient lived or died.

Scott AFB had everything to take care of that disaster and then some. Why wasn't this ever mentioned? The military can never question "The Commander In Chief", that's for sure.

The irony of what I've written is that Scott AFB was called to duty 8 months prior to "Hurricane Katrina" for a tsunami disaster.

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/135288/amc-aircraft-people-support-
tsunami-relief-operations/

These resources could be utilized for people half way around the world, but not for the citizens of New Orleans; why I ask you?

@orpheus10 

Bro please keep this to music or go to twitter. This is not the forum to bare or discuss social injustice or political frustrations.

-Cheers