Takes one to know one

I find what one artist has to say about another fascinating. Here's what Eric Clapton has to say about one such:

"I met the genius of that outfit, who was Richard Manuel. He was as close to genius as I've ever met in a white guy---all the other geniuses I've met have been black Blues players, like B.B. and Buddy Guy. The reason I say they're geniuses is that they do what they do effortlessly with a gift that is so powerful that they don't need to engage in any kind of thinking to pursue it."

I would add Levon Helm, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, and even Robbie Robertson (somewhat begrudgingly ;-), the other members of The Band, to the list of geniuses. There has never been, and never again will be, a Group containing so much talent. I listen to their music every single day of my life, and have done so for years. Their debut and second album are in my Top 10 albums of all-time list. Both are available on LP and SACD from Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. Ignore them at the cost of your own musical wealth!

128x128bdp24

@onhwy61, I agree about a band sharing songwriting credits, even though it’s a rather Communist idea ;-). The Ramones did it, I’m sure there are others.

Levon Helm’s argument was that the instrumental parts he and the others created for The Band’s songs, and his and the other’s ideas for arrangements (listen to the out-takes of their albums to hear how the songs developed and changed in the studio) were just as much a part of the song as were the chords and melody. Levon’s drum parts are chock full of signature "hooks", parts without which the songs were incomplete.

I don’t begrudge Robertson being a business man; more power to him. What I do find objectionable is the way he deliberately mislead and manipulated both the other members of The Band and John Simon, producer of the first two Band albums. Robertson came to Simon and asked him to write charts for the horn section The Band wanted for The Last Waltz. Simon hadn’t received a royalty check from Capitol Records for years, and told Robbie he was not doing any more work for which he would receive no compensation. Robertson said he would look into the matter, and came back to John with an offer: if he agreed to forfeit all future royalties from the sale of the two Band albums he produced, Capitol would pay all past royalties due him. Simon balked at that idea, but Robbie, according to John, told him that he would make a lot more money from The Last Waltz album and movie than he would from future sales of the first two Band albums. John said okay.

What John and the other members of The Band didn’t know was that Robbie was signing agreements with the company that was financing the movie, agreements making Robbie an executive producer of movie. All the producers made money off the top of the movie’s grosses, The Band members and John Simon off the net. After all production costs, advertising, etc., there was very little left. Robertson ended up making a small fortune off the movie, John Simon and The Band a pittance. Robbie KNEW that would be the case, and knowingly tricked, manipulated, John Simon into signing away his future royalties for what he, Robertson, knew would be very little. All to make himself as much money as possible, at the cost of Simon and The Band. When Robbie said "I did what I had to do", he is admitting as much.

Eric (bdp24), thanks for providing the characteristically comprehensive and interesting background.  It's of particular interest to me because I knew John Simon's parents and sister quite well during the 1970s, and also met John a number of times.  My wife and I lived in his parent's guest cottage, adjacent to their house in Norwalk, Connecticut, from when we were married in 1970 until we moved out of town in 1980.  His father was a medical doctor, and also an amateur violinist, and for a number of years was president of the local classical orchestra, the Norwalk Symphony.  A fine family.

Best regards,
-- Al

I am a huge fan of The Band what a unique and fantastic brand of music they produced, and I am a fan of Rick Danko in particular. He played a lot of solo shows during my college days 87-91 I never got to see him myself but lots of bootlegs of his shows were around. I still have a few and listening to him sing "It Makes No Difference" always sends a chill down my spine.
I’ll be darned, Al! John did a fantastic job producing the first two Band albums. The third (Stage Fright) was done by Todd Rundgren, an odd choice it seemed to me then and now. It was a major disappointment after the incredible first and second, and when the fourth was also not up to snuff, we all wondered if John was in actuality the 6th member of The Band! He made a solo album sometime in the 70’s, which I somehow missed. Gotta get a copy of it---Eric.

@jond, isn’t "It Makes No Difference" as beautiful a song as you’ve ever heard?! I love Rick’s voice, it’s so unique. I love how he sang "Long Black Veil---a Lefty Frizzell song (Rick loved Country music)---on Music From Big Pink. As were Levon’s and Richard’s. Three lead singers! The way their voiced weave in and out amongst each others, trading verses, even lines. In The Last Waltz, Robbie cited The Staple Singers as their model for how to arrange vocals. The three singers did that, not Robbie.

The Band’s roots were SO deep; Hillbilly, Country, Cajun, Blues, Rock ’n’ Roll, Gospel, Pop, Jazz, Classical (Garth was a trained musician). The five members had been playing together as an ensemble for eight years before making their first album. Most bands whole lifespan is less than that! And they were all multi-instrumentalists. Levon played not only drums, but guitar, mandolin, and harmonica. Rick bass, guitar, and tuba. Richard was a FANTASTIC drummer, almost as good as Levon. And Garth Hudson, the most unlikely person to join a Rock ’n’ Roll Band, played all keyboards, as well as sax. Robbie was (I guess still is) a wonderful guitarist. Can’t sing worth a damn, though.