Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Hmmm...a pair of CS 7 available locally for $3k?  Cabinets appear fair...

I’m also looking at a Modwright KWI200 integrated which would give me an additional 100 watts @ 4 ohms.  

Damn you, Audiogon!
beetle, the actual combined cap value is important for proper tonal balance and phase addition thru the XO region. I like the CSA +, + with the 0.33 being a teflon or other ultra-grade cap if possible. Ultra bypasses are far less important on the woofer, put more value on the coax feeds with less value on the traps (where the electrolytics are.)

Mono is good for critical analysis, either from a mono source or summed in the preamp.

oblong, Rob might have an upgrade path for those CS7s. Note: 5' from the back wall gives you about 5ms reflection delay where the ear-brain identifies it as a reflection and not smear of the initial signal. That's where the big Thiels come to life.

Tom

I like the CSA +, + with the 0.33 being a teflon or other ultra-grade cap if possible. Ultra bypasses are far less important on the woofer, put more value on the coax feeds

Thanks for this, Tom!

I have yet to remove the passive radiator to take a look for myself but the pics I've found on the 'net suggest a problem I hadn't considered - there might not be enough room for double bypass on the coax feed. The extant 14 and 28uF caps are ~49 and ~65mm D, respectively. Replacing these two with six caps might not fit even if I stack them on the resistors and each other (BTW, are there sonic gains to be had by upgrading the resistors?).

It's tough to get the Thiel values (14 and 28 uF) in combos of two. Clarity makes a 27uF CSA, which would combine nicely with a 1uF ultra cap, but I can't find a retailer. I can get 18uF CSA and combine that with either 10uF CMR or Mundorf Supreme. The 14uF is tougher. I can get a 12uf MR and combine that with a 2uF CSA – is it deleterious or non-beneficial if the lower capacitance cap is lesser quality? Going with Mundorf mandates a double bypass, eg, 10uF CSA + 3.9uF Supreme + 0.1uF Supreme.

There appears to be much more room to replace the single 33uF woofer cap. Plenty of room to replace these with 15+18uF CSA or 33uF Mundorf Supreme EVO or, most inexpensively, 33 uF SA.

Obviously, I can’t make any purchase without first looking at the boards myself and seeing how much room there is.