Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Thanks frog.  I have the "Live at the Sands" recording on CD.  I love the entire album except for Sinatra's monolog.  That smacks too much of the old white guys doing the Amos 'N Andy routine.  I could just imagine members of the band cringing while he did it.  Luckily with CD it is easy to skip to the next track.

I agree about Freddie Green.  Did you see my comments on him during the mention of bluegrass and the importance of the rhythm guitar back up?

Speaking of Thad Jones, this has long been a favorite album (easy since I love Monk so much anyway) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoSoCj3DWhc&list=PLbQSo5KOStyvpPfvrQy4Kvyt1q_genUbS
I must admit and thank you all in this forum for extending my jazz music collection and introducing me to some truly great music. Please keep them coming. Listening to Miles Davis Flamenco Sketches in High Resolution and cant imagine music ever being better than what was comprised on Kind of Blue. From the all star cast to the improvisation to the reported first takes going on wax. IMHO KOB will forever be the standard for jazz music. Listening Cannonball and Coltrane duke it out is pure joy.

Cheers
pryso, yes I did see your comment re Green:

**** Just a steady foundation to each tune. ****

Exactly!  And we all know what happens when you take the foundation away.

re Thad Jones and Monk.  I think whoever posted your link originally screwed up.  Did you mean this?  Great record.  Thanks for the reminder.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oRDxZpwJwks