The ups and downs of tube vs. SS...

I’d like to hear from the people that have had both. Why tube? Why SS? What are the ups and downs of both? How does owning one or both differ? I’ve always owned SS, but also lusted after tubes....
jtweed
128x128jtweed
If you want something simple and family friendly, I would suggest the Parasound HINT for the main system.  It's a Swiss army knife of an integrated, sounds great (especially with the R300s) and it doesn't cost so much that you won't freak out if the wife or kids get PB&J on it. 
Tubes are just like Ferrari, Porsche, Rolex -- toys designed to entertain
Solid states more like Toyota, Honda, Swiss Aarmy --  instruments designed to deliver.
For a near field desktop system and to get into tubes, check out the miniwatt 6AD10 single ended amp.  It's 3.5 wpc, single ended, and won't set you back much.  You'd be surprised just how loud 1 watt can get with the right speakers and they are saying the 6AD10 is superior to a 6BQ5.

The Sophia Baby is also a nice sounding 6BQ5/EL84 amp.  I believe it's about 10 wpc push pull.  The EL84 is one of my favorite tubes, it's very neutral and sweet sounding and has excellent bass.

It all depends on your budget and speakers too.  
Tubes, at their best, do sound better but the cost is not insignificant .
If you want REALLY good tubes the cost can easily be twice the original
cost of the amp over its lifetime .