Martin Logan speakers

Are Martin Logan speakers still considered to be high quality speakers?   (I have an opportunity to buy a used pair of Vistas)   I have an old Audio Research VT130 amplifier.    Would it be a good fit with the Martin Logans?  If not, what would be better, but not outrageously expensive?   
jcder
Quad Esl and 63s ushered me into high end audio (I owned the 63s and later added Gradient subs) so I have a soft spot for stats.

I’ve heard and auditioned many ML stats since the 90s.

I find the ML sound to have a generally pleasant “golden upper midrange” to my ears that I like, though MLs, especially older models could veer into being a bit bright and slightly fatiguing. Never the case with Quads for me.

I was recently chilling listening to my friend’s set up with the ML Ethos, a standard ML hybrid and came away with the same feeling I’ve had every single time I hear ML. It’s a place I love to visit - I will always eagerly sit down on front of a pair to experience that special stat transparency, openness and (with some sources) realism.

But I very quickly also realize why I could never live with them as a main speaker. I find the discontinuaty between the low frequencies (cone) and midrange up (stat) impossible to ignore. When there is some bass in the track that portion of the sound will have some presence, but everything rendered by the stat has a ghostly, skeletal, flatter “I can hear it but it’s not really there moving air” quality. It’s especially painful for rock/pop where the drive of the sub/cone can fool you that air is being excited in the room but it’s easy to notice instruments in the midrange - eg electric guitars, synths, lack any punch.

Plus I’ve never found the quality of bass in any ML hybrid to be that good - I hear more of a plodding quality “yep the sub has kicked in” vs tight, tonally integrated bass.

I’ve heard since the 90s onward “ML has better cone/stat integration now” but I’ve never once found it to be the case, including various newer statement products at shows.

Whatever route ML has stayed on in its hybrid designs, I don’t think it will ever yield truly excellent integration, if it hasn’t by now.

i remember getting more convincing integration many years ago with the dipole Gradient subs made for my Quad 63s.

I’d love to hear the Janszen hybrids which many report as a truly successful integration design.

Anyway, although it sounds like I’m coming down hard on the MLs I still love listening to them. It’s just whenever I spend time with a ML by the end I come home wanting to hug my cone speakers, as they  provide both an amazing sense of boxless transparency and a sense of density and punch through the whole range that I find more satisfying and realistic.

Owned 7 pair of  logans over the years plus descent subs and have heard most newer models and honestly they got it right on CLS2Z and the other models well they dont have that magic. Logan also has raised prices as have others and cut corners on quality.
The quality and the amount of bass on the models with passive woofers is very dependent on the room placement and the partnering amplifier. I have my Aerius i in room corners, about 3 feet in from the back wall and about 2 feet from side walls and about 12 feet apart and 12 feet from the listening chair. I do have a subwoofer in the room but I don't find the speaker bass lacking for most music and only use he subwoofer when listening at low volumes. I was driving them with a borrowed pair of Bryston 7B-ST mono blocks for a while and  the bass response from those 8" woofers was completely adequate. Most people have the speakers way into the room so the bass module can't couple with the room. If the room shape allows, they can be placed very close to the side walls without any issues since they don't really have much side-wall reflections. Just my experience.
I have owned Martin Logans for years and family and friends alike are amazed at the sound.  I have a surround system being run by Classe 5200 and an SSP 800.  Movies and music sound great no matter whats playing.
Post removed