Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Well, that's me all right. I'll be on that !
 Heinz Holliger was the greatest player , on any instrument , I have ever seen live .
The best Schumann symphony I ever heard live was the "Rhenish"
with Masur / Gewandhaus at home base .

I never thought the DG set with Gardiner/ORR  would ever be surpassed
but would be glad to  be wrong .

A couple of recording that I think worth mentioning in case someone is looking for something rarely heard but in both cases are very accessible neo-romantic music typically released by Chandos. I'm glad to have them in my collection.

Symphony #2 by Randall Thompson (and other works by George Chadwick) Neeme Jarvi and the Detroit SO. Beautiful American symphonic music all. Chandos 9439.

Kara Karayev - various symphonic works - highly influenced (I think) by the major Russian composers of the late 19th and early 20th century  very engaging and very Russian. Chandos 5203. 

schubert,

i don’t know if it’s sold in a set yet.  I bought the Schumann symphonies on three separate discs, with the cello concerto as filler.
+1 for the Randall Thompson # 2 , a lovely piece that used to get some play back in the 50's-60's .  I'll look for the Chandos 9439 newbee,
thanks .
I see Audite has Jacquline Du Pre playing the Cello Concerto.
Geza Anda, too. 
I never heard of this label before.
B