Question for tube aficionados

I have a vintage Conrad-Johnson PV 11 preamp.
 I’ve always re-tubed it  with the cheapest tubes from Tube Depot (e.g. Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 and 12AX7, Sovtek 5751 and the like.). I’ve been very happy with the sound.
 My question is:
 Would it be worthwhile to spend more money on more exotic tubes?
  Would there be any appreciable difference in the sound?
 I’m powering the system with NuForce Reference 9 V3 monoblocks.
128x128rvpiano
The difference in sound between NOS and new production tubes is slight and you will spend a lot of money finding NOS tubes that are (1) not fake, (2) not microphonic (3) not noisy. My 2c worth. I gave up the chase years ago and now use matched and tested JJ or Sovtek tubes.

Also, CJ amps of this vintage typically use circuit designs that are not optimal to produce a "tubey" sound. They are also prone to oscillation with the wrong tube choices because of CJ's refusal to follow good design practice and use grid stopper resistors. The difference NOS tubes will make is like cables - not much. I'd stick with what works.
"The difference NOS tubes will make is like cables - not much."

Interesting analogy except with cables you can show them off, not so much with many tube designs, particularly preamps. Just like anything else in audio, the depth of one's pocket is the only limiting factor.
Hello, I’ve owned the PV-11 for over 20yrs now. It was my main preamp for 10yrs but I have moved onto a AR SP-11 Mk 2. I still have the PV-11 in my collection of preamps. The tubes that sounded the best to me in the PV-11’s linestage is the Amperex 7316. I think other Bugle Boy 12AU7’s may sound good also but the 7316’s were the most musical and revealing tube for me. Keep in mine that the linestage of the PV-11 is fine but it’s phonostage is totally awesome. 
I'd agree that not all NOS tubes are genuinely "new" old stock and a reputable dealer is worth seeking out.  
Not every NOS tube is by default always better than current production,  it depends on numerous variables.  I can vouch for the upper level of the Psvane tubes for example. 

Based on my experience I believe that you can find high quality NOS tubes if using a honest dealer/vender.
Charles 
Raindance 3-16-2018
They are also prone to oscillation with the wrong tube choices because of CJ's refusal to follow good design practice and use grid stopper resistors.
Interesting point, which I hadn't been aware of.  I couldn't find a schematic for the PV11, but I took a look at schematics for the PV10 and PV12 which are available at HiFiEngine.com.  And I can confirm Raindance's assertion for at least most of the tube stages in these designs.  I have no idea why CJ wouldn't have put grid stopper resistors having at least relatively low resistances into these designs, but as Raindance indicated not including them is definitely not good design practice.

The following article provides good background on this subject, even though it is oriented toward guitar amp applications:

http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/grid-resistors-why-are-they-used

Regards,
-- Al