Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
It’s really amazing how that works.
 The imperfections melt away as you get into the music.
Post removed 
Yup, brain is on the job .
I believe I ,as a historian, have the good fortune of being able to put myself in the time and place of almost any  European composer from
1200 on . To me that helps a lot in understanding .

A trite expression comes to mind regarding the music/sound discussion.
“putting the cart before the horse” sums it up well.
@geoffkait , 
Yes, I do recall those efforts, but I was trying to imply that there is no microphone that will reproduce what each set of ears will. My hearing and your hearing may be completely different, just as our eyes will respectively see an image differently colored(colorblindness notwithstanding). That being said, there is no way a recording will fulfill each individuals expectations of a live performance.
@schubert ,
Yes, I agree with your post. And, I often find myself thinking how composers lived and how the times they lived in influenced their work.

One of my favorites is the 2nd movement of the Beethoven Ninth symphony.
It still seem so avant garde, but to think it was written in the 19th century...
I would have loved to be in the audience when it premiered.
And, Beethoven was completely deaf at that point...
(But, I bet he could still 'hear' it)!
B