Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
frogman
I was thinking of a word to describe Desmond's playing and came up with terse which is listed in the dictionary as " Smoothly elegant, polished ,refined".
Yes Stan Getz seemed to never rush anything and plays a little softer than others and has a lot to say. I've neglected him lately need to get back to his music.

liked that medley with Trane  &Getz. Seems like a rare clip. I play the 1st & 3rd songs on piano occasionally 2 of my favorites. Who is the piano player who did "Autumn leaves"? Did not recognize him. Tranes solo is a perfect example where he plays melodically and doesn't get too far out there. On "Hackensack" he cuts loose and is great also.
Which brings me back to the discussion you and pryso were having about  Coltrane. pryso mentioned the "sheets of sound " style and you mentioned some people having a cutoff point to where they would listen to Tranes music but nothing after.That's probably true.  I used to think  like that but I have changed my opinion over the years . I agree with pryso who observed some product done in the 60's like "Ballads " ,"And Johnny Hartman" "Duke Ellington & John Coltrane" goes back to his more melodic style. These are all just observations. Coltrane is difficult to pigeonhole. But one thing is for sure-he was a consumate musician who knew his horn and music forwards and backwards.  In fact I believe he traveled further musically in his short lifetime than most musicians do for their whole careers. I am sure there are those who don't wish to listen to anything Trane did after his prestige years. I too tend to cherry pick when I listen to him.  As I have aged I am more apt to listen to music which is less intense and jarring. Although I do still have an ear for the "avant garde" music just not as often. Just my 2 cents.
BTW his solo on KOB'S "Blue In Green" is beautiful.

Another possible alto substitute in KOB sessions?:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o75obi0Ce6w

Nsp,its Wynton Kelly on 'Autumn leaves'
Great pair of clips, Frogman, thanks, it was discovery to me.

Interesting, I was just listening 'Autumn leaves' at home, but in this version. 
https://youtu.be/jGgAjdK1bHA
https://youtu.be/9prWYPwahUI

It is from Curtis Fuller album 'South American Cookin' from 1961. with Zoot Simms, T.Flanagan, D.Bailey and J.Merrit

Have we speak about Simms ? Like his playing very much...and as we have mentioned Getz before, read somewhere that on one occasion Simms was asked about his opinion of Getz, said, that 'Stan is a great bunch of guys'... 

nsp, Wynton Kelly is the piano player on the first clip. Then on Hackensack one can see Kelly get up and hand the piano over to Oscar Peterson.

Re Coltrane. Clearly we all have a favorite period in his career, but I enjoy just about everything he did. I may not want to listen to his out stuff very often, but every once in a while I’ll be in the mood for it and I find it puts his other work in a certain perspective. Btw, one of the things I like about those clips with Getz is that for whatever reason his tone was incredible at that point in time. Maybe a great reed that day 😊
alex, a bit of co-ink-a-dense? You posted Fuller and earlier today I happened upon a reference to this album by JJ and Kai. So I was thinking we needed some ’bone work here. As it happened, it was one of my jazz selections in that initial Columbia Record Club batch I mentioned earlier from so long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MAx_907Qh4

But just prior a few of you paid tribute to Getz, another of my favorites. So to close the circle here is a strong album with both Stan and JJ. Just check the line up, great energy and JJ is on fire on some cuts, but then they all are. I have this one too but with a different cover so didn’t recognize it until I read the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOIsqIRSvbM
I referred to Coltrane’s tone on the clips, not Getz; although he sounded different and beautiful as always.