Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
RV, FWIW you've got a tough job ahead of you if you want to keep this going. Just not that many classical music enthusiasts on this site, especially ones that will actively participate. 

Since you are a professional pianist I thought I would mention a compilation solo piano CD that I not only enjoy totally, but that I also you as a reference for my system. "Michael Sheppard plays Rodgers, Hough, Barber, Sheppard, Crumb, Corigliano, Wild, and Balcom, on Harmonia Mundi. I just don't tire of it. This is very accessible music for anyone who is a bit venturesome.

In the same vein, but for full orchestra, another modern piece that is not only accessible but very enjoyable. Erkki Melartin's Violin Concereto on Ondine. The Tampere Phil conducted by Leif Segerstam.  Hard not to like this piece.
I’ll look to the Melartin newbee , The Tampere. like the other "minor"
Finnish bands, are very good , like everything else in Finland .
During Holy Week, as is my custom , I listen exclusively to
religious music ,about half early music . Dufay, Ockeghem , Palestrina. Monteverdi, etc and IMO the greatest of them all , Josquin des Prez .

Of course the other half is devoted to, you guessed it , J.S Bach .
The Cantata’s are the main course but I end up with the piece my
favorite conductor , Herbert Blomstedt, convinced me is Bach’s greatest
work , his Mass in B minor .
I listen to it on DVD with headphone system on my trusty 50" Samsung Plasma with the great Blomstedt conducting an Orchestra he loved and who loved him , the Leipzig Gewandhaus .
I don’t think the Mass could be played or sung better than on this EuroArts 2005 DVD , recorded in Bach’s own Church , the St. Thomas .
To watch a great conductor conduct a great orchestra with no baton and the
least amount of hand beats needed is a uplifting in and of itself !
The extra bonus of Blomstedt expounding why he thinks the Mass in B minor is Bach’s best is a treat not to missed !
Blomstedt himself is a devout Christian and yes, that does make a difference .
P.S .  I payed 10 bucks for this fantastic DVD on Amazon . bought 2 just in case .
newbie,

You’re right, it is a heavy lift trying to keep this thread going.  But, we got off to a good start.  Just have to get the more reticent to participate.

I’lm going to get the piano record you recommend. I’ve never heard of Michael Sheppard.  Have to give him a try.
rvpiano, FWIW you can google 'Michael Sheppard, pianist' and you will get several hits which will give you some background on him and this disc. These are for the most part transcriptions (for which I'm a sucker, especially the music of Liszt, Prokofiev, and Wagner) but they are more original in their selection than most and some are Sheppard's own transcriptions. I hope you enjoy.