Changes that made a difference (in order of effect).

Here are the changes I’ve made to my system in the last six months -

Speaker placement: I’ve been moving my SF Auditor M’s around trying to get the best imaging and smoothest frequency response. They are currently 30” from the front wall, 67” from the side, 76” apart, and toed in ~ 15 degrees. I have moved them back and forth in all directions as well as shifted my seating position trying to optimize the room/ speaker interaction. This is a very time consuming study. REW software helped; being able to see changes in distortion, time domain and frequency response makes it less ambiguous. It now feels like it’s as good as it’s going to get. BTW, the mad NASA engineer was right. Speakers closer together, closer than you might otherwise think, is better.

Diffusor: I built the Arqen lean diffusor designed by Tim Perry and put it on the near side wall to improve clarity. (Unfortunately, my room set up is not symmetrical.) I have lots of constraints in my mixed use living/ listening room. So a diffusor doubling as wall art is a win/ win situation. (See photo in my virtual system.) Initially, I tried the model 4 but in the end I went with the flat version. Moreover, I made it out of walnut and reduced the height to 13” instead of the recommended 48” for improved WAF.

The “Master Handbook of Acoustics” recommends absorption at the first reflection point and Floyd Toole recommends nothing on the wall at the FRP. Recommendations also vary depending on whether it’s a studio control room or a listening space. The diffusor is 8’ from my listening position. I don’t know if the lean diffusor is actually diffusing or just attenuating. What is noticeable is how much clearer China Forbes’ voice is when playing Pink Martini. YMMV

Preamplifier clipping: This issue is discussed at length in the Harbeth user group. http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/forum/the-science-of-audio/amplifier-matching-mismatching-and-cli... Willemj pointed me in that direction a while back. Previously, my volume setting was around 9 o’clock for ~70 dB sound level, not much useable range on the volume dial. I added -10dB attenuation to my Marantz CD player (one of the default settings) and that shifted the volume setting upward to around 11 o’clock. Previously, listening to Jeff Buckley’s “Hallelujah” there were two points in the song where the guitar goes twang and my ears would go Ouch! Now, much better.

Wall outlet: This is a tweak that others swear by but I can’t be sure of. After seeing what extreme measures Folkfreak went to manage his incoming power, I wondered about my standard residential set up. I unscrewed the old back stab wall socket that my system is plugged into and pulled on the wires. They easily slipped about 1/8” before grabbing. Hmmm...not a very positive connection. I replaced it with a Hubbell 8300H (old un-plated version) I got on eBay. It seemed like the bass response was better (maybe) but I couldn’t confirm by A/B testing the outlets. 1) it takes at least 10 minutes to replace a socket (too long to remember) and 2) I cannot recreate the 30 year old marginal connection to the back-stab outlet. In any event, I’m happy with the very positive connection provided by the Hubbell plate and screws.

I’m done (for now). These positive changes are mostly from shared learnings by forum members for which I’m grateful.

What recent changes have you made to improve the sound of your system?

mikexxyz
Man, I LOVE experimenting with diets.
For a month I was on rice-beans-cabbage and some basic fruits(hah! spent only $120 for whole month on meals) and after I cooked chicken soup that I was munching whole Sunday nothing else, but chicken soup because I was getting high eating that chickn soup!

Any change to your system is good pal. Do change! The chance I'll do it again is quite BIG.
1) Fuses. Simply helps to lower the noise floor allowing more to be   
    heard. Not the expensive ones either (mine were $35 apiece)
2) Going to a bigger gauge speaker cable and keeping it a single, solid
    core with bare ends. That, and having extra enough length on the 
    speaker end to reach both posts of my speaker which is bi wirable.
    It eliminates the jumpers and keeps it clean and simple, resulting in
    a very coherent sound.
3) Gutwire Perfect Ground cables. One for my integrated and one for
    my SACD player. Like the fuses, they result in a much lower noise
    floor, eliminating a haze I never knew I had.

All the best,
Nonoise

Biggest impact was upgrading the DAC. Everything matters, but it all begins at the source...which I realize sounds like a dumb statement, source/beginning, duh.