Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
nsp, 

As you must know, that Alpert cover has become one of the most famous over the years for LPs.

Regarding "Time After Time", it becomes confusing because of two different songs with the same title.  Baker covered the original while Miles adapted Cyndi Lauper's -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wBgcalM4c4

For Sarah, her only album I own is "After Hours", which I think is good, but have nothing else for comparison.

o10, not to get political but I can't imagine wanting any present jazz which reflects current society.  Too much discord and lack of tolerance.

Pryso, I think you have hit upon something, maybe that's why we never discuss "current" music, because there is very little worth discussing.

I noticed sometime ago when I bought a fairly current CD, it only had 1 cut that appealed to me, now I don't even bother.

What we talk about and like as a forum speaks for itself without my input.

I'm still waiting for the "new music", and I want each one of us to make sure they comment on it.

After this, we will return to whatever we like as individuals, and are comfortable with.
**** but I have always shared that responsibility as to what is "good jazz" and we have come to a unanimous conclusion.****

Huh? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Unanimous? With all the disagreement about new vs old jazz? Perhaps we have different definitions of “unanimous”. Not that I have an issue with disagreement, I don’t; but hardly unanimous I think. Plenty of discussion about the new music, btw. Perhaps I dreamt it 😊.

**** but I would never accept anything just because it’s new. ****

Of course not and I agree, and there was no suggestion that one should. Just as we shouldn’t accept anything simply because it’s old.

Agree re Sarah Vaughn “Send In The Clowns”. Thanks, pryso. Great choice for “standard” status and one which probably already is; performed and recorded many many times.

nsp: Sarah Vaughn “Live In Japan”, fantastic live double album. And of course, “In The Land Of Hi Fi” and “SV With Clifford Brown”. The latter two are classics and available only in mono (I believe, mine are), but great sound if somewhat “vintage”, if you know what I mean.

Imho, of course, art does not reflects society. Art  (or should say artists ) interprets society, or some brief moments within. Historically that is even more evident, as art was not available for masses, nor it was enjoyed by them. Even today, with much higher percentage of educated people and wide world spread media, art is a rare form.