New Speakers ... Can't Stop "Listening"

I’ve had my new JA Pulsars for about a month now, and something really strange has happened ... I’m actually interested in "listening" to the music. With my old B&Ws, I’d put on the system and read or surf the internet; being "involved" with the music typically was not something I had experienced. Now, reading a magazine or surfing the ’net is virtually impossible. It's almost as if I'm compelled to pay attention. I never knew I could be so engaged by my system. Other than greater detail, what am I hearing now that I hadn’t heard before? Has anyone had a similar experience?
rlb61
Hi @kalali - 

This is a digression. 

I'm not saying everyone should design their own speakers, nor do I think saving money is the reason to do so. 

I do think every audiophile should get their hands at least a little dirty at least once in their hobby. Even if you only buy a $50 kit with all the parts ready to assemble, the learning experience of making your own speakers is priceless, as is the ability to tinker endlessly. I feel strongly that if more audiophiles went from amateur speaker engineers to actually building even a single pair of speakers our hobby would be better for it. 

Best,

E
@erik_squires 
Completely agree. Sometimes DIY hifi is more satisfying than buying equipment. Especially your DIY actually comes close to purchased equipment.

My own:
https://youtu.be/C8fwA3nPNls

Good job pc997! 

(I feel like I just spoke a line from a Star Wars movie...)

How do you find your speakers compare to some of the comparable commercially built models?

Thanks prof,

I took that youtube video with my iphone. The Susan Wong song was being played on youtube (ipad) and the amp was a $100 basic Sony unit. There were no high end components anywhere - except, of course, speakers and the crossovers.

I listened (took a CD with me) to some stand mount (bookshelf) speakers in local Magnolia (using Marantz equipment). My speakers clearly has better sound than B&W 705 S2 however can't hear any differences with 805 D3s (I am sure 805s diamond tweeter would sound better if I played them side by side). I also listened to Focal Chorus 706s at a different store. Focals are about the same as 805s - however nothing really jumped making me want to take them home. My diy speakers are also much better sounding than my B&W CM7.5 wall speakers which is expected.

I am extremely happy with what I have built (mostly proud of the crossovers). I will be getting some stands, put the crossovers into more presentable boxes, and hook them up to a better equipment, better cabling and make another video. They should become much better.

I still would love to have a pair of B&W 802 or 803 D3s... ;-)