Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
frogman & orpheus10
Thanks for the cuts and explanation on Sonny Stitt. I have many Stitt recordings and never felt he was a clone of Bird . I had read some things to that effect but always felt it was a bad rap on his musicianship.BTW the cut of "Laura" by Stitt was beautiful , one I was not familiar with.

As to the question of the 1st bebop recording , it seems orpheus10 has changed the question to "who best represents the new  bebop style that came out of that period of time" and as such has nominated Charlie Parker as the one who had the greatest influence and represented this new style of music in his playing . It would be hard to argue with his being chosen as many sources, including many musicians, point to him as being there at the beginning.  So is Parker the best AND the first? I don't know.

I have found a  Parker interview with Paul Desmond, I believe,
where he is questioned concerning his musicianship. Parker clearly states , as FACT, that he did a lot of study, sometimes 11-14 hours a day.He also says he studied with books and indicates this was a very important part of his development. So it is clear from this statement by Parker that  jazz music can be intellectualized , comprehended and studied . And that WAS  a key factor in his development as a musician.  Jazz music IS evolutionary. Using Parker again as an example  I quote Mark Gridley's "Jazz Styles History and Analysis"2nd addition. He writes "Charlie Parker wrote the song "Ko-Ko" atop the chord changes of "Cherokee" a previously written song and his improvisations were new melodies with "Cherokees" accompaniment. He also wrote that  Parker. as well as other jazz musicians ,wrote new songs using pop tunes standard progressions of the day. So there you have it.
In the interview Parker talks about records he cut in 1942 with Dizzy Gillespie and one of those tunes being "Groovin High". So are their records prior to the 1944 tune cited by pjw that were before the musician union strike which represent bebop?
This was the first time I heard Charlie Parker interviewed. I was taken by how articulate and intelligent he was . And how humble he was concerning his talent , a rare and admirable quality I respect in any artist .

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T3W8Ff_4oFg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=prbqc3C6968 

BTW orpheus10 I enjoyed the cut by Oran Etkin you posted. I will look for some more of his music.
o10, possibly I didn’t make myself clear in asking for others to post favorite alternatives to the commonly recommended albums. "I’m kind of slow in the head about precisely where you’re coming from, but I’ll try. "Moods" by The Three Sounds is the album I’m going to pick". Nothing against The Three Sounds but they were not my idea of sufficient popularity to make jazz recommendation lists.

If this helps what I had in mind were starters for other albums besides "Take Five", such as your Messengers’ "Moanin’", Evans’ "Waltz For Debbie", Coltrane’s "A Love Supreme" or "Blue Train", Rollins' "Saxophone Colossus", Cannonball's "Somethin' Else", Silver’s "Song For My Father" and so on. "KOB" may not be a good example since I doubt there is a better introduction to Miles, still, others may feel differently.

My idea was for aficionados to list albums they believe offer as much if not more musical reward than the war horses in common recommendation lists. I thought that might have interest for both us long time listeners as well as any jazz "newbies".
alexatpos
Thanks for all the west coast stuff you posted recently. I was mostly a fan of Shelly Manne so I just knew Richie Kamuca from his band .I will be seeking out some west coast to add to my collection.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vV1E99kIPtQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqzwnb4bLjU