What is the best USED Speaker Under $10,000

REAL WORLD PRICES

Considering AudiogoN prices - You can buy many fantastic used $20,000+ Speakers for under the magic $10,000 level.

This is really a different topic than previous questions in this forum.

I've bought Avalon Eidolons, Joseph Audio Pearls, Wilson Watt Puppy 6's and others for (slightly) under 10K

I would love to hear from other A'goners their opinions on what are the best you can do - for under 10K (Or even a "little bit more").

Thanks for sharing your opinions!
Ag insider logo xs@2xjprice
I don't know if it is the best, but I bought a used pair of ProAc Response D-40r for less than $10K and I am very impressed with them. You can see my system in the link below.

Best of luck in your search.
This is a good thread, especially since it is what I've been considering lately. I would agree with the Vandersteen 5A's and the Treos, as I have actually heard them both. All you big city guys can audition speakers, I guess, although the changes in the business have forced out a lot of retail audio places who carried a good speaker line. I am in the wilds of west Texas, and I don't get to listen to a lot of different speaker brands. I have a pair of Thiel 2.4's, added a Krell fpb 300 and Krell Evolution 222 to feed them, and was impressed. So then I shipped in a pair of Thiel 5's, and now am adding a CAT 600.2, can't wait to hear those together. If not totally happy, I will go with some Thiel 3.7's or 2.7's, and get my house back.
@michaeljbrown,

I feel your pain about not being able to audition many speakers, as I am in East Texas! I've been researching a lot lately on speakers under $10,000 as well. I recently got a Krell FPB400cx, so I should be able to power most any speaker I get.

How do you compare the Vandersteen 5A sound to Thiel 2.4 sound? I never tried any Thiel in the past because they always said you need a powerful amp, which I did not have at the time. How are the Thiel 5s?
Great amp Mtrot! I have both 2.4's and 5's right now. I have compared the two speakers side by side driven by the Krell FPB300, and of course the 5's are full range with 24 hz bass, so they outperform the 2.4's, but the smaller speakers hold up pretty well. The 2.4's image precisely, with a broad soundstage and detailed presentation. I use the 2.4's with the HT as mains, but only because the 5's are so strong, with a huge soundstage. I wish I had a room they could set up with 5' on rear and sides, but can't. The 5A's are more of a full range speaker with lower base than the 2.4's, so that's a fairly easy call, but these 5's are something. I couldn't make the call right now. For 3k, which is what I paid, the 5's or 5i's are a killer deal if you have the amplification, and you do! I have no reason to try some 7.2's, as Thiel dealers have admitted to me that if you can set them up right, with the right power, the 5's are the best Thiel made..I'm waiting for delivery of a CAT 660.2 I found on Audiogon at Saturday Audio ...Stay tuned!
Guys, John from Audio Connection in Verona NJ will tell you how to set up the 5's in this thread if you ask. He's the best I've met and as I've said, that's why I drive nearly 3 hrs each way to do business with him. I never loved the Theil sound as I"m very very sensitive to fatigue and the highs have always been too much for me, but that may be the equipment they use...The Vandy's will give a more musical presentation. Richard listens a ton of live music. We spoke about that last month. Many don't understand his 'sound' as it's not really a sound. It's what he feels live sounds like. Bigger amp will give you more dynamics. No feedback amp (ayre) will give you a quiet noise floor...they are as neutral as I've heard and that includes Rockports and other exotics. I can listen to music all day long on them as they stage and image but only what's being passed to them from the source and amps. Harbeth and speakers like that are listenable, but aren't as detailed in the attacks as the Vandys are. That's where even more emotion is located. Some shops say listen how detailed these are or how clear and they probably haven't heard live in years. It's the mid bass through midrange that matters and when you are as quick as the Vandy's are in this range, THAT'S what makes them so special. As you already know Michael, even the Treo's are faster than most panels, but convey more emotion and sound like you are THERE....plus the 5's are easy to set up with that powered woofer due to the Q or something like that..I listen and am not an engineer, lol...Ask John though and you'll die with the difference...I was a Proac guy and nearly got new D40's, but side by side(John also sells and loves Proacs) it wasn't close and the Treo's new are a lot less. JMHO