Stereophile, no more bench tests????!!!!

Looks like Stereophile may be cutting back on expenses, no more bench testing for measurements and specs to keep the manufacturers and reviewers honest, it'll make you think twice on what to believe now, without the proof to back it up.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mark-levinson-no534-power-amplifier

https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-91-parasound-halo-52

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi
+1 Mapman.

As I’ve said in a number of threads here in the past, the main usefulness of specs and especially JA’s uniquely comprehensive measurements is in identifying and **ruling out** candidates for purchase that would be poor matches with other components in the system (e.g., due to impedance incompatibilities, mismatches of gains, sensitivities, power capability, etc.), or with the listener’s requirements (e.g., peak volume capability, perhaps deep bass extension, etc). But not in selecting among candidates which make that cut, where listening is essential.

By doing that preliminary screening based on specs and measurements, the randomness of the selection process is decreased considerably, as is the likelihood of expensive mistakes.

A second major usefulness of specs and measurements is in diagnosing problems or sonic issues that may arise or become apparent in a system that has already been assembled.

As evidence of these usefulnesses of specs and measurements, I couldn’t begin to count the number of threads here in which I and many others have found it useful and in fact necessary to refer to the measurements JA provides in Stereophile. Where else is one likely to find, for example, the output impedance at 20 Hz of a tube-based line-level component, which is essential information in determining impedance compatibility with solid state equipment that it may be asked to drive. Where else is one likely to find how a speaker’s impedance varies as a function of frequency, which is not only important information in determining how much amplifier power is required, but can often be helpful in predicting whether a tube amp or a solid state amp would be the best choice for the particular speaker, or if both kinds of amps might be suitable. And where else can one find a **meaningful** indication of speaker sensitivity, rather than a manufacturer’s spec that may be optimistic by several db by virtue of clever but misleading "specmanship." For example, by basing the spec on whatever frequency produces the best number, as I’ve seen done in a number of cases, or by fudging the number in some other manner.

Finally, it is also sometimes possible to rule out candidates from consideration on the basis that some of their specs or measurements are simply TOO GOOD. A classic example being Total Harmonic Distortion numbers that are extremely small fractions of 1%, which depending on other aspects of the amp’s design can be indicative of heavy-handed application of feedback, the likely result being Transient Intermodulation Distortion and excessive amounts of the most objectionable kinds of harmonic distortion.

Best regards,
-- Al
Sorry, but I love TAS.  I have had an uninterrupted subscription since Issue 20 (December 1980).  I bought quite a few back issues before the fire in Sea Cliff and have found the rest, so I have every print issue.

I started my Stereophile subscription in 1981 and have every issue since.  Not quite a full set.

Yes, I still read them cover to cover every month.  Kind of a ritual by this point I guess.
As always, almarg said it all (mapman too). I find especially useful and interesting---and necessary---the input and output impedances of tube pre's and power amps, and the modulus of a loudspeaker's impedance. The interaction between all three can be predicted from those figures, narrowing down likely synergistic pairings to be auditioned in person.
I agree with Mapman, Almarg and bdp24. I enjoy Stereophile more than any other mag because in addition to the reviewer's subjective impressions, we have measurements. No wise audiophile should buy any component based  solely upon measurements. The unwise audiophile ignores the measurements.
I especially enjoy it when the impressions of the reviewer are at odds with the measurements which are disclosed after the review is in.
Lastly, I think the Stereophile writers are generally very literate and engaging.  I enjoy the Absolute Sound as well, but if I could only read one magazine, it would be Stereophile. I also enjoy HiFi News and Record Reviewsout of the UK.  It is, in many ways, a distinctly different perspective on audio. 
i miss the 'stereo review' magazine. i've been reading their magazine since 1970 till they retired!!