Why Isnt Techincs 1200 Considered Audiophile?

Technics is known for its rock solid build quality low wow flutter, low noise rock steady speed, great torque and powerful motor so why isnt it given the accolades as a musical turntable?
vinny55
bdp24,

I suspected that holes on Audiomod arm were there for some purpose, but I have no real technical knowledge to even start speculating what the purpose could be. Before, I took it for granted that holes are there to make something better. Now, I know what the intention is. I do not doubt it is a fine arm and my comment about dust in the holes was more about being annoyed by the dust I could have a hard time getting out than it was about dust impacting the sound. However, I did stretch my imagination to the minuscle levels I sometimes read discussed in the audiophile press and, although I do not believe it matters, thought of someone some day for some reason saying that after two years of use the dust that collected in the deepest corner (are there corners in those holes?) changed some weight/resonance/another property of the arm and impacted the sound on the level previously unimagined. Again, I doubt it matters at all, but science of these things gets so finicky that it seems like anything could fly and be taken seriously. Audiomod arm got enough praises in this thread alone that, if I were looking for an arm and I did not dislike the overall look of it (in fact, I do not care about holes that much), I would seriously consider buying it. Regardless of if the person making it does it from pure enthusiasm or because his only intent is to make a lots of money. Is it done in garage, living room, or sterile environment of an operating room, would not influence my choice.

Thanks for your quick, but helpful, explanation of the arm and thinking behind it. I really appreciate it.
oldschool1948,

The only thing I should change in your post to make it my post is turn Technics SL 1600 MK II into Technics SL Q2. I know that nobody would consider it an "audiophile" turntable but is, as you say, "audiophile" enough for me and has been for 37 years or so. It was expensive to me then, we saved money for a while to buy it, but for 37 years of use it seems quite cheap now. Every now and then I browse to check if there is anything else out there I could waste my money on and I am yet to find something that I would replace my Technics with. I got it when I was 15 or 16 and 37 years of memories no new arm or fine non-jittery highly-praised machine could touch. Perfect it is not, perfect for me it is. The only one that comes close is Dual 1225 with Shure cartridge. The most musical turntable that ever was.

Speaking of old machines that outlived their life expectations, why do true audiophiles not insist on playing music on "period equipment", but instead attempt to make everything "better"? There are performers of classical music that proudly advertise they play on "period instruments". Why is some Stradivari so well-respected a few hundred years from the moment it was produced? Couldn't it be replicated these days with all the technology and science that we have? I have no answers, just a few thoughts.

The Technics 1200 is a fine TT! I have the mkII. They are worthy of a good cartridge! Nothing wrong with speed stability, either! I don't feel that the new version is worth its high price! 
Sorry I didn't realize that the new 1200 comes in 3 versions! $4K seems high for the TOTL. But the 1200GR at $1700 is certainly more affordable - and should sell better!