German Physiks - Listening Impressions Wanted

I would like to hear from folks that either own or have heard any of the German Physiks Speakers,
preferably the Carbon or Borderland.Both being MK 4 versions with the latest triple D drivers.

I have either one of these unique speakers near the top of my short list but with too many unknowns with a speaker this expensive,I will probably have to make a trip to see Larry owner of Distinctive Stereo and get a good look and demo.

The HRS-120 might be a candidate also at a lesser price point.

Kenny.
kdude66
Bondman,

Hope all is well.

I liked the GPs at CAp Audiofest very much, as much as anything I heard there, but gotta say, sitting here listening to my big OHM F5s that I scored for a fraction of retail even after wheeling and dealing, some serious A/B compares would be needed for me to be sure which way I would go, especially given the cost differential. The omni top end of the GPS compared to the OHMs definitely mean tougher placement away from walls. Maybe with the right room......
I would like to Thank all that have responded to my inquiry about these speakers from actual listening experience.

It’s been many yrs that I’ve heard a Omni of any kind and that would be the classic Ohm Walsh F’s.If my memory of these is correct,I do recall that they were very coherent speaking with one voice with a very large almost anywhere in the room stage but what was different was the imaging is different,not so pinpoint as most speakers.

The GP’s do pop up used from time to time,might be out of the USA,and Larry does have demo pairs for sale occasionally.

If you guys have any more solid info about the latest Ohm’s,I would like to hear about it.

If I get serious about the GP’s,due to their cost which is a serious commitment for me,I will have to take a trip and listen to them.

Enjoy,
Kenny.
kdude the newer OHM Walshes and GPs are very similar in that regard. However both are two way designs not one driver with only physical crossovers like the original Fs. It turned out to be almost impossible to deliver a long lasting durable and reliable product that way. GP uses Walsh principles on the higher frequencies, OHM Walsh on the lower. GP and OHM F both are/were true omnidirectional designs. OHM Walsh only somewhat in that side and rear sound is physically attenuated with sound absorbing materials inside the can to enable placement somewhat close to walls which works better for most in most rooms.

This is the one guy who I think still tries and claims to have solved the issues with original OHM A and F. Have never heard but would like to.

http://www.hhr-exoticspeakers.com/

All good stuff! Different solutions that solve different problems.

Lots of info on various thread here about OHM speakers.  Not much else to say.   If any specific questions ask away.

Kenny - All the information on current and recent Ohm speakers you could possibly want is on this huge Audiogon thread -

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ohm-walsh-micro-talls-who-s-actually-heard-em

It’s a long slog, but if you want a feel for what the Ohm’s are like, the only thing that would be more helpful would be an in-home demo (Ohm offers a 120-day in home trial, but you lose the round-trip shipping). Mapman may disagree, but I have long called my 2000s the "poor man’s German Physiks or MBL Radialstrahler". But the gap in sound, IMHO, is not nearly as large as the gap in price.

You are either an Omni guy or not. We have heard pretty much every major omni, the MBL really are the best Omni on the market. WIth that being said most Omni's all suffer from the same problem they really don;'t work in real world envionrments. 

An Omni is going to produce a gigantic swath of sound which bounces off all surfaces, this does create a giant yet unfocused sound. 

Unless  you can really tame all the room boundary effects or you love an oversized image which has no basis of reality then Omni's all the way.

It is interesting to note almost every single audio reviewer owns a direct radiating loudspeaker, why because they work in real world rooms and they produce life like well sized images. The only genre an Omni might be better would be orchestral music.

So Kdude you have to ask yourself what you value.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ