Int Amp for Thiel CS 3.7

I need some advice on choosing the right Int amp to drive a pair of Thiel CS 3.7
Here are some that i can think of : Hegel H360, Modwright KWI 200 SE, Karan KA-I 180 MK2 and others.

Thieliste
128x128thieliste
@audiotroy ....I think you’re wrong, so it’s a stalemate.  You just validated my point.  That is; you don’t have to spend mega bucks on an integrated amp like the ones you mentioned.  One can achieve a much better sound and synergy with Thiels using a high current amp and a tube preamp.  You’re throwing out watts per channel numbers when current is more important with Thiels.   I also spoke with Jim many times and they used mostly Krell and BAT.  One of the best sounds I’ve ever heard from Thiels was with a Levinson 336 amp and Thiel cs2.4.  You know what kind of amp and tube preamp you could buy for the ridiculous prices of the esoteric integrateds you mentioned!?  Oh I almost forgot, you’re into sales of such.

You don’t need to remind me of the differences between Thiel and Vandersteen.  Had lots of experience with both.   So there you have it, just because you’re a dealer trying to sell your goods doesn’t mean I and others here are misguided. No offense but I’ll take JohnnyR ( @audioconnection ) advice about synergistic systems over yours any day.  You don’t need to feel the need to lecture me like you do some others around here.  You and I ain’t ever going to agree.  I hope you spend as much time selling as you do posting here for your sake.....
Carmenc,

Lets set a couple of points straight:

WE ARE NOT SELLING ANYTHING to the OP who  lives in Europe

If you've read his posts Mr. Theilliste is all over the place on trying to figure out what would sound best on his Thiels.

He mentioned a budget of 10,000 Euro's with today's exchange rates would be around $12k-14k in equvilent dollars.

If this is the case you are not going to find better pieces newer pieces fitting in that price point. Sure you can buy a 3-5 year  old tube preamp and a solid state amp like a used Krell or something or a newer amp built to a lesser price point like the Benchmark but then the issue is for X dollars will that combo sound as good as an uber integrated? 

We are directly refuting your previous statement: I’ve owned Thiels in the past.  I can tell you from firsthand experience that separates are the best way to proceed with Thiels.  I’ve said this before; a tube preamp with a ss amp!  

To which we wrote: Carmnec your statement that you have to use separates is wrong, the uber integrated amplifiers, which include a $45,000.00 Dagastino, the $18k Gryphon Diablo 300,the $23k T+A HV 3100 series are three examples of uber integrated amplifiers that challenge, and outperform many separates.

If you read what we wrote the previous T+A model the HV 3000 at $18k was compared to $120k worth of Ch Precision gear WHICH ARE SEPARATES! and was found to sound nearly as good as those pieces read the article.

Carmenc,you expouse the same thinking that many people here do you start shopping for an affordable older used setup or start shopping at lesser priced amplifiers in order to fit the budget.

Dave do you think the T+A HV 3100  will be more refined and have more magic with my CS 3.7 compared to the Diablo 300 and the Vitus RI-101 ? or is it a close call ?
Thanks,

Thieliste

@audiotroy,

The Luxman I referenced is not the AX model you are describing. It is the brand new UBER Luxman integrated, Luxman L-509X. It is supposed to be a mix of the top of the line separates in a single chassis. Similar in goal as the T&A integrated.

I have learned that in audio price is not always a good barometer of quality.

BTW - read up what the Magico designers think of Hegel. I was a little surprised at how much respect they bestowed on Hegel. Soundstage.com has an interview with the designer talking about the new A3 speaker. He demoed with Hegel.
yyzsantabarbera we know the Uber Luxman and we haven't tested it. The Luxman gear is very good, however, we sold the brand for years, liked it a bit better than the Hegel gear which we also sold.

The T+A 2500R is the most remarkable semi affordable integrated we have ever tested in the shop.  Its combination of huge soundstage width and depth coupled with a very engaging and liquid midrange was something extraordinary not exhibited in many of these pieces.

Hegel gear is very good, but just slightly misses the more organic quality of the best gear, it could be something with the feed foward circuit design. 

As with any of this gear you have to listen for yourself. We had some of the older 800 series Luxman pieces in and the T+A was in a different league.

The Luxman engineers take a more complicated design track then the T+A engineers. The Lucca volume circuit is quite complex, vs T+A traditional optical encoder opening up gas contact relays and individual resistors. 

Luxman makes fantastic gear some of the best they just didn't seem to offer the same set of qualities of resolution plus liquidity we heard in the T+A gear, we would welcome the shootout. 

It all comes down to what you value, these are all stellar pieces.

When we tested the T+A gear it bettered the Thrax gear, CJ gear, Devialet, and Electrcompaniet gear we compared it to. The T+A integrated was compared to Naim, Norma, Coda, Devialet, and Electcompaniet amps at the time. 

Hope that clarifys our points.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ