If You Like Funk: Check Out Vulfpeck

Please leave your thoughts: love it, hate it, somewhere in between or indifferent? And I apologize for the bad dancing white guy in the video. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTUnDV3MgVQ
Ag insider logo xs@2xastewart8944
+1 that video - I loved LP solo. Nothing better than that except perhaps the same track with Chester Thompson. Chester had a way and timing with the B-3 that used call and response at its best. I bought Back to Oakland back when I was 14 and been hooked ever since. I listen to everything but nothing amazes me more than TOP tight funky playing - best group of musicians on the planet. Back to Oakland album takes time to get used to but once you get it - heaven.

Here is what I believe is the best live version of Knock yourself out - Chester Thompson is out of this world - his timing is just pure genius - the tension he builds is palpable -  best of all he knows when NOT to overplay - choosing to keep the groove going much of the time with tasty licks here and there - not playing is the sign of a true genius as the space around the music is like the canvas in art - it can be used equally as part of the whole work.

https://youtu.be/vamo6YOS-G0

Note Santana is totally outclassed - he can’t begin to keep up with this group of musicians...Santana timing or groove feel is really awkward on this song - he just can’t seem to find the pocket!

Of course Red Hot Chili Peppers deserves a mention especially their early stuff!

Try early Red Hot Chili Peppers on your kids!

And Huey Lewis and the News are awesome. Live at 25 (at Chico’s) is a great demonstration of their live performances.

Shadorne, I couldn’t agree more.  Not only is Back to Oakland my favorite album of all time but I  also I totally agree on Chester Thompson.  His timing, ability to keep intensifying a groove, his foot pedal work and his ability to play off Rocco and Garibaldi was just sublime.  Throw in Lenny Pickett and I am in soul/funk/music heaven.

My all time favorite is Squib Cakes.
I just finished listening to Tower of Power's "Back to Oakland." The first word that came to mind is "complete"--It has everything. Great horns, beautiful harmonies, driving beat, upbeat funky, lush strings in some places, the sax player is GREAT and the main lead singer is feeling it. Oh and there is tremendous variety while remaining within the genre. This is a Full album--yet not overproduced. @shadorne can you please just send me complete playlists please?! :-) @fmpnd Squib Cakes is a very fun song. And I'm getting ready to listen to some of your recommendations next.
I will tell you what I think afterwards.