Dynavector cartridges, old and new

For more than 40 years Dynavector has been producing very high quality moving coil cartridges in Japan. Sadly we don't have a dedicated Dynavector thread here on audiogon. It would be nice to collect info about some nice rare models in one topic. 

My first Dynavector was high output model, very attractive headshell integrated as one piece - Dynavector DV-30A was released in Japan 1 year before the Karat series and 4 years before the fabulous Karat Nova. The first high output Moving Coil Dynavector DV-30 series was the next generation of the Ultimo cartridges. The Ultimo’s were manufactured by Onlife Research Inc., which later became Dynavector. The 30-series was introduced in 1978 with 3 different models DV-30A & DV-30B (HOMC) and DV-30C (LOMC). Till the early 80s it was top of the line Dynavector models.... 

But then the KARAT was released with short Ruby and Diamond cantilevers (depends on the model). I've been looking for KARAT for a long time, i found the Dynavector KARAT 23RS special calibrated version with Micro Ridge stylus tip and prism Ruby cantilever. This particular model has been introduced in 1988 and claimed to be superior to the earlier generation of Karat carts. I'd like to seek more info about this rare cartridge, but very little info available online. Anyone can comment on Karat Ruby 23RS mkI (not mkII) ?  

I know some mebers are enjoing the more expensive Karat Nova series, XV-1, XX-2, Te Kaitora Rua etc 

Modern Dynavector site is: http://www.dynavector.com/ 

But the rare models can be found here

128x128chakster
My first LOMC was a Karat 23 back in 1981 and it opened a whole new world for me. I wore it out and did the factory re-tip program (basically a 50% credit against a new cartridge).  Wore that one out too and got the 23 RS, then later a RS MR.  Life happened while I had that one, and it ended up lasting until I refurbished my entire system back in 2011.  Another factory re-tip brought home a 17 D3.  The process of installing that uncovered a bunch of issues in my Magnepan arm and attempting to repair those uncovered more issues in my table suspension.

After getting a new Graham Phantom and my table rebuilt, I discovered that the Graham didn't have enough adjustability to get the correct tracking force on such a light cart without modification.  That was VERY irritating, especially since I verified the Graham manual stated it had the range needed before plunking down $5K for it.

I tried to work around with Blue Tack and other non-resonant materials to get a decent balance, but none of them seemed to be acoustically neutral and they were all fugly besides.  I can say that the 17 D3 had an extended high frequency range compared to the 23 RS MR.  That was pretty astounding considering the 23 test chart showed essentially flat response to over 100kHz.  Bass was a bit tighter too, but didn't seem as natural.  I chalked that up to the VTF work-arounds.

In the process of yet another mount-dismount cycle trying to get everything just so, I discovered that the 17 D3 cantilever had cracked at the stylus:  A perfect semi-elipse.  Dynavector was very good about it and gave me another 50% re-tip credit, and this time I put it toward an XX2 Mk II.

The extra mass made all the difference with the Graham and finally allowed everything to function as designed, which is magnificently indeed.  The excellent customer service from DV, the natural and uncolored nature of the DV LOMC sound and the superior price-to-performance ratio have made a customer for life here.  One day, I'd like to go to the XV-1S, but that needs other bits to create maximum synergy.  Maybe if I win a lottery...

That's my story anyway.  Hope it gives you some detail you find useful.  Happy listening!
@bpoletti yep, i've seen many Karat Nova samples for sale in the past few years, but this time i'm not looking for headshell integrated versions. Our @dover made some nice posts about them, including those about Raul's re-cantilevered sample installed upside down in the original shell and listed for sale like that.  

Also this Karat Nova is overpriced all the time, the 23RS Ruby MR and 17DS Diamond MR both have better value even NOS. 
@chakster Thought I'd mention that cart in the context of your thread.  I have heard some DVs that are quite good and some others that are...   But that just proves that even in a single model of cart there can be variations in performance.  Such is the nature of building such microscopic mechanical devices.  :)
I was given a very early Dynavector Ruby 23. I still have it and use it now and then. Sounds great.  All original.   
My daily use Dynavector is a modern 17D3.