Legacy Focus HDs

Lust received and hooked up my Focus HDs. Upgraded from the 2020s. Wow! I was worried because I loved the 2020s but yes these sound better. Any harshness in the highs are gone. The mid drivers are excellent and brought the mids to more accurate. The bottom end is still there but more accurate and well defined. No more bass issues. Very pleasing to listen to. If anyone has been scared to make the move to the HDs-Dont be. If you like the 2020s you will love the new HDs. Email any questions and I will be glad to try to answer them. Oh-The fit and finish is also better and the hardware such as binding post are a big upgrade as well. Good job Lagacy.
hifiman9
I'm located in WA state. I listen to more types of music now but opera I just can't listen to. Classical is fine but not knowing much about it, it's hard to know what was a good recording. I mostly listen to rock and have a bad habit of playing it loud from time to time. Problem is some rock is so poorly recorded it doesn't sound good no matter what you do. I listened to the quatros at Advanced Audio in Tacoma WA. We even played some vinyl and it made me want to get into vinyl again... just more $$$$.. It's just that when we played Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon (on vinyl) it didn't have the punch and authority like when I heard it turned up on some Martin Logan Summits. The Summits actually impressed me allot. They have 2 10" powered subs built in also. They are more efficient than the Vandie's, you should give them a listen. For the type of music your dad enjoys, I would say he made a very good choice in speakers.
Scott
I still own Innersound Eros Electrostat hybrids wich are the same as a Logan minus the curved panel and Powered woofers (Innersound are passive 10in) but my dad doesnt care for that huge wall of sound.
The Summits are the best yet from ML and a pretty good value for the money but stats get old after awhile, atleast mine did, a friend in our audio club has been runing them in his system for over a year now and I visited them the other day, funny thing was I couldnt figure out what I really liked about them....go figure.
Take a look at VMPS they offer alot of what is great with Planars and fast stats but have always been known for killer bass.....I own the FF3 SRE with outboard crossover.
The only thing about Legacy is they are a "hotrod" in that I mean they are always ready to getty up and go but sometimes they lacked the finess you crave with multiple musical taste. I agree 100% about rock music being very hard to get too picky about as it is almost always crap recordings, the guy I talked earlier about has $10K PassLab mono amps, a near $10K Sota table with SME V arm and so on, and when he plays rock it almost seems silly to have all that money wrapped up into playing the crap the spit out of the recording booth....loud compressed garbage.
Yeah, that is what sucks about rock recordings but vinyl does help that. Never heard that about the stats, but loved the imaging and the way treble and simbles sounded. The summits have good punch. I remeber VPMP's from years ago, big huge 15 driver speakers. The speakers are much smaller in size now but pricy. They started by making kits. We had a co. in Seattle called SpeakerLab. They used to make some decent stuff years ago and you could get them in kit form. I went through a tour there when I was in Electronics school. Our teacher was a tube audio fan, he had quite the system back then. I looked at those ZU speakers, strange looking and almost to good to be true. I would think they would be blaring with horns and full range speakers. Sure would like to listen to them, they sound like they would be quite impressive. It's hard when you start getting quality stuff, but most you CD collection sounds like crap. My friends give me crap because I listen to different stuff more for a quality recording. I have this Boz Scaggs CD that just sounds incredable.. Dave Matthews, Sting, Mark Knopfler all sound good too.
I hear no Harsh sound from the 20/20's tweeters. In fact, just the other way around. They are one of the most relaxed speaker Ive ever heard! The 20/20's are the only speaker Ive ever heard that sounds close to a magnepan/logan sound, but with more dynamics, full range, and easy to drive.

Ive compared my focus 20/20's to tons of other speakers in my own home. As some have read, I buy about 1 pair of high end speakers per month, listen to them for a while and sell them again. In A/B comparisons, you would be suprised at what you hear.
I waited an entire year before trading in my original Focus speakers (purchased in 1998) for HD's. I just had a hard time believing anything could sound better than what I had.

I have put about 50 hours on the HD's and they sound fantastic! I can't wait for them to burn in at 300 hours! I always thought 50-100 hours was all that was needed.