How much should a person spend to get a decent power conditioner?

Good day to all.  I am wondering if I need to replace my moderate power conditioner, or if 'stacking' a puck (inline style) conditioner at the outlet would gain enough to warrant the expense.  I understand minimal expense usually means minimal gain, but I'm curious about how best to treat my AC and stay within my budget.  Thoughts please.
128x128wisciman99
I lucked out on an older Sound Applications XE12 for a few hundred dollars. It worked very good at my previous house ( old historic home with cloth wire ) . I have not checked it at the new house; just kind of something you drop in and forget. I will need some power strips to get it out and check, in case Whart is correct, and it is now effecting the sound negatively.

Try dedicated lines also. Getting electrical right is important, and not BS, although speakers are a very high return item if you haven’t got that settled. Get rid of wall warts, which reminds me, I still have one on my modem.

Replace the ceiling fan!! :)
@folkfreak - I'm a completist in that i cannot read "nattering nabobs" without the complete phrase. :)
I was trying to discern what you are using- I remember some posts about Synergistic Research active blocks, and saw that at one time you had the Equi=Tech wall cabinet. You are now using a Torus isolation transformer or did I misread? I assume you found some benefit to 'conditioning' of some sort even with balanced power? I gather from my cursory read of your set ups that you don't have a traditional 'black box' power conditioner installed?
Call me agnostic on the subject. If it helps, great. I think try before you buy is the watchword for anything over a modest price. 

A good conditioner will make your system sound more open and effortless, it will add weight and improve dynamics. In general however I haven’t found them to materially change soundstage, which is more a matter of low level noise better addressed via grounding solutions and the like. Rather against expectations I’ve never found conditioners to remove noise or so called grunge,

Exactly right. I'll add that due to the lower noise floor, there will be better separation between instruments. Also related is increased inner detail, you may hear effects and background studio sounds never revealed before.
 I like the more open and detailed imaging.

@whart. Glad you appreciate the quotation 😉

I have actually always used two stage power conditioning, a system wide transformer and a dedicated pair of conditioners for sources and power amps.

In my old Santa Monica set up I had a Equitech balanced transformer then conditioners (used to be RSA for the sources and SA on the amps, then moved to SR on both). Frankly I found balanced power to be more trouble than it was worth however so in my current Portland system I have a wall mounted Torus (which is balanced input but normal 110v outputs) and then a pair of SR 12 UEFs, one for sources and one for power amps

I also find that the SR conditioners are very sensitive to footers and the platforms they are on, vibration profoundly and negatively impacts power conditioners. My current preferred arrangement is GPA monaco stands to Marigo platforms, to Marigo footers
I must say you folks are very well versed and articulate with what are the potential benefits of a good power condition, to use the vernacular.  I am going to look into several items brought out in these discussions.  I noticed a couple references to not having your amp plugged into a power conditioner.  That seems counter intuitive to me.  I would think that it's one of the two most important devices (the pre/pro being the other) to have plugged in to a conditioner.  Can someone please expound on this?