CDs Vs LPs

Just wondering how many prefer CDs over LPs  or LPs over CDs for the best sound quality. Assuming that both turntable and CDP are same high end quality. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
roberjerman913 posts06-26-2018 12:16amAudiophiles would be happier if CD players required as much tweaking as TT's to obtain optimal SQ!

Haha sooo true.
Actually LPs sound pretty good right out of the starting gate, like cassettes. It’s the tizzy, two dimensional, compressed and boring sound of CDs that needs all the help it can get. If you saw all things I do to a CD before I will even attempt to listen to it you’d flip your gizzard.
coolatheart
It's my understanding ALL vinyl is manufactured from a digital imprint.
That may be your misunderstanding, but it's a misunderstanding, and not even remotely true.

I’ve been recording vinyl to DSD128 for awhile now. That’s the best of both worlds. The process has stimulated me to raise the quality of both analog and digital front ends. It has led to more care and discipline cleaning vinyl, and increased precision of tonearm/cartridge alignment(Lyra Etna with Lofgren B for the majority of records!) It’s been a satisfying re-engagement with LPs accumulated over decades, but rarely played in recent years owing to the convenience and continuous improvement of digital. After those records are in the digital jukebox they will be played more often, and eventually, the physical media will be sold off with no regrets.

PS. 16/44.1 is insufficient for archiving vinyl.

It has really become just a matter of convenience.
Lets face it the consumer that is average joe makes up the vast majority of all media sales, not us hobbyist junkies!
Average Joe has moved right along with tech advances and loves it!
CD is facing the same extinction event that vinyl was say 35 years ago give or take, will it roll over and die ? Of course not just like vinyl has not but make no mistake both cd and vinyl are "zombie" media in consumer speak, they are both "dead" but refuse to actually die!

So convenience....

When average Joe discovered cd he was over the moon, no more replacing styli, cleaning of vinyl, getting up every 20 minutes, setting up the tt ( if they ever did?).
Now they had these shiny little discs that were extremely resilient to light scratches and grubby fingerprints, a lot easier to store and hit play and get an hour or more of music, plus remote controls! And playback in the car! Yes I know the 50,s offered record players as an option in cars thank you.

Then as tech advanced and video tapes were replaced with dvd and bluray average Joe became even happier that their cd could now play in those dvd and bluray machines and hey even less boxes to own!

Now we are at streaming and digital hirez files ( and yes I have skipped over ipods and mp3 files entirely!).

Will these replace cd in the mainstream to average Joe? I think they mostly already have.

Most smartphones now are more than capable of streaming hirez files or Tidal etc to a home audio system or in the car so now average Joe can play high quality music with the one item he would never leave home without anyway, the phone. I will be honest here, the first thing I do on getting into the car is sync to my phone and play via Tidal. No more zipper cases of cds to fumble with any more.

As I said this is all about average Joe the mainstream consumer not the audio junkie! Can you imagine Joe obsessing over whether he should change the VTA if he plays a 180gm record or not?

Lets be real here, we represent a tiny percentile of the consumer market and that is driven by tech and convenience.

And yes this my very humble opinion only and a somewhat cynical take with tongue in cheek before you get all righteous out there! (ps as a clue I DO adjust VTA for 180gm vinyl...lol)