How much should a person spend to get a decent power conditioner?

Good day to all.  I am wondering if I need to replace my moderate power conditioner, or if 'stacking' a puck (inline style) conditioner at the outlet would gain enough to warrant the expense.  I understand minimal expense usually means minimal gain, but I'm curious about how best to treat my AC and stay within my budget.  Thoughts please.
128x128wisciman99
@leotis my concerns with balanced power are based on my experience with a 350lb EquiTech in wall unit installed by the premier studio power technician in the LA area. It was continually popping GFCIs from interference with other household appliances (I actually had to rewire it to bypass the GFCIs in the end), I had to be careful on incompatibility with some of my existing equipment such as the Sound Applications conditioner, and finally the House was unsellable without it removed as the buyer could not deal with non standard outlets. So if you are considering an in wall application bear this in mind. None of these issues affect my current in wall Torus which is balanced in, single ended out which is in my mind the best compromise 
Hi pesky_wabbit,

Here is the link to a recent review comparing the HFC MC-6, PS Audio P10, Equitech 2Q (briefly) and the SR Powercell 12 UEF SE:

https://audiobacon.net/2018/04/23/synergistic-research-powercell-12-uef-se-power-conditioner-review/

Dave
@folkfreak Thank you for clarification. I have 4 separate rack mount ETs running 4 separate systems so no risk for the difficulties you encountered.BTW previously had PS Powerplant PPP. Could only use on front end. Not enough power for amp. Cleaned things up a little but the effect was not very noticeable. Also some earlier Shunyata conditioners. Smoothed things out a bit, but also damped dynamics. Sounded a little veiled. Effect with Equitech was dramatic noise reduction. Like "Holy Cow!" reaction. And no problem with power hungry amps. You don’t realize how much noise is present until you remove it. Once I read the details on how balanced power works I was sold. But admittedly trepidatious on initial $4500 outlay for a 2QR. (They do make less expensive units. Depends on your power requirements.)

The very first response you got was that power conditioning is 'snake oil' and not to waste your money.  You can expect at least one of these 'Helomech' types every time you ask a question.

If you are looking for a quieter ('blacker') background which will enhance the soundstage and unmask some ambience information, a good power conditioner can definitely help.

Helomech is correct that a lot of noise comes from the components themselves (esp. CDPs).  But he is wrong in thinking that a power conditioner does not address that.  Any decently isolated one will!  (Good A/C cords will help as well.)

I also agree that your power amp should go directly 'to the wall'.  I have not found a power conditioner that doesn't affect dynamics at all (though Shunyata claims so, and I have not experimented).

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Furman. My low-cost suggestion id the Shunyata Venom/Defender.  The Venom is a well-isolated power distributer.  The Defender is a compact power conditioner that [plugs into an empty socket on the Venom.  Very effective at relatively low cost!  Of course, if you can afford it, go for a Denali or an Audioquest Niagra.

BTW, you CAN use a Shunyata Defender for your power amp.  Here's how - You just plug it into the other socket of the duplex that your amp is plugged into.  The Defender will clan up the signal because it works by 'proximity'.  Pretty nifty!  

Saying the conditioner will 'limit' current is a theory.Where what it sound like is an actual experiment.I find MY conditioner (Furman REF20i may make the amp slightly leaner sounding. The treble is better, but the midrange may be a little thinner sounding, along with the bass.From the wall the treble is slightly harsher, but the mids are fuller and so is the bass. Some folks also find the attack is weaker from a conditioner. I do not notice this.And over twenty of so years I have slowly worked my way up the food chain, both in equipment, and conditioners.The Furman REF20i is all I need, though if I had $8K to throw away I would buy the Niagara.
Generally a conditioner is trading one thing for another. For me the gain in treble clarity and midrange purity far outweighs the loss of 'heft'. But besides conditioners I use after market power cords. long ones. 4 or 5 meter long.....And from the wall to conditioners two 30 ft long and two 37 ft long custom AC cords