Who said “ flat freq response “ is the best?

I have a dumb question?

who determined that the “ flattest frequency response” is the BEST?

we are all looking over specs and note all the +\- dB deviations from flat and declare it bad?

are we cattle? Or did someone like J Gordon Holt declare it?

Or am I missing something 

Anyway, I think about stuff to much...lol

jeff

frozentundra
Speakers need to be "voiced," i.e. you have to listen to them. I talked to a speaker designer years ago who said that if you had the ability to adjust the various sonic parameters of a speaker from your listening spot (including cabinet materials, crossover settings, speaker materials), the results you would wind up with from simply listening to music would be far from flat. 

I'll just add that I've never heard a speaker advertised as having a flat frequency response that sounded good to me.  They tend to sound 'dead'.

Your room is not 'flat', your ears are not 'flat', even the recordings you're playing are not 'flat'.

BTW, J. Gordon Holt was the LAST guy ever to tout something like 'flat frequency response'.  He was more about listening than measuring.

I think most music lovers and audiophiles can agree that there is no such thing as “flat” anything - especially speakers. Although, it is probably a good thing not to have prominant peaks or dips in a speakers’ response. That said, I believe that the key ingrediant to great sound is the room itself. Assuming your equipment is well matched, and you are at a certain price point, you can get more bang for buck in room tweaking than in component changes.
I have 2 systems that I listen to frequently.  The one with superior room acoustics sounds better, no matter which equipment I use in it.
Come on people. Speakers’ frequency response is almost always specified along the lines of 40 Hz to 16 kHz on axis + - 2dB. Their sensitivity is almost always specified along lines of 92 dB for 1 Watt at 1 meter. Just like stereo cartridges are usually specified along the lines of 15 Hz to 20 kHz +- 1dB.

@geoffkait 

For everyone,  geoff is accurate,  speakers publish their spec's with a frequency response and a variance within that response. 
Exceptionally flat speakers are normally rated Plus or Minus 1 db.  Anything that is typically more that plus or minus 3db is normally not considered audiophile,  although that certainly is not cast in stone. 
Today,  Many speakers are rated at a flat 2.83v input rather than 1 watt 1 meter.  For accuracy,  you need an accurate impedance, an accurate response curve and an accurate sensitivity rating.