New Adcom 👀585 SE. anybody heard this monster

Ladies
I am thinking this could be fun to buy 2 of these place in bridge mode and get
about 900 watts of juice each side.   My Revel ultima 2 Salons are very hungry
Has anyone heard these.   Only 3k each

128x128blueskiespbd
I don’t know what an upgrade would involve?
the amps sound great , don’t know what could be done to wrangle more power out of them?
would auto formers be workable?
Not more power, get rid of the mud that has very likely crept in... and an upgrade in speed and resolution.
this tends to be where satisfaction lies, it's just that we seldom reach it well enough to understand it.
Don't increase the volume, lower the noise floor. Ie, low distortion, high dynamics.
“found this:" Plastic Binding Post outputs; replaced with CARDAS binding posts. Runs class A to 125 watts; generates a fair amount of heat. "
If this is true of the amps you have, then the heat will have by now wreaked havoc with the small electrolytic capacitors in the unit and its sound is going to be sub par from when new.”

I don’t believe they ran Class A to 125 watts, but they were biased very high and run very warm. A shop that carried them that I used to go to (long gone) would kick them on in the morning to heat the room instead of a heater.  

They were good amps, the biggest complain they were a bit edgy in some systems.  I agree with you that the caps are likely heat degraded and recapping them would probably significantly improve the sound and newer, better quality caps could even improve it from there.  For the cost, I would give that a try first.  

The problem with bridging stereo amps is, if the speaker load is 8 ohms, then each channel sees a 2 ohm load when operating in bridged mode.  Which is okay if the speaker really is 8 ohms.  If it drops down to 4 ohms in certain areas, then each channel would see 1 ohm on those frequencies, which is NOT a good thing.

The fact that the Adcom 585SE’s maximum continuous power capability in stereo mode is only 33% greater into 4 ohms than into 8 ohms (600 watts vs. 450 watts), as well as the lack of any rating for a 4 ohm load in bridged mode, does not speak well of its ability to sound its best, or even to sound good, if it were asked to power the Revel Ultima Salon2 in bridged mode.

And although the speaker has a specified nominal impedance of 6 ohms, it has a specified minimum impedance of only 3.7 ohms, at 90 Hz. And Stereophile’s measurements state that its impedance is between 3 and 5 ohms from 17 Hz all the way up to 600 Hz, which encompasses a part of the spectrum in which music tends to have much of its energy.

Finally, in bridged mode the amp will see those 3 to 5 ohm impedances as only 1.5 to 2.5 ohms (in bridged mode an amp sees the speaker’s impedance divided by two, rather than divided by 4 as stated in the previous post), which certainly seems likely to be problematical for the amp. In the absence of information to the contrary I wouldn’t even rule out the possibility that the amp might go into a self-protective shutdown if asked to provide a lot of power into those impedances, given the facts I cited in the first paragraph.

Personally, I would consider using that amp in bridged mode with that speaker to be a non-starter.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al