Possible Upgrade

Hi-

A buddy of mine recommended your site. I'm possibly looking to upgrade my system and wanted to get some thoughts. The current system consists of a Carver TFM-45 amp with a Carver C-5 Pre-amp/tuner. I listen to some vinyl on my old Harmon Kardon straight line turntable. Just about everythi9ng else is Pandora or FLAC tracks using my Sonos .Speakers are Definitive Technology RLSII's. I have a Paradigm subwoofer also in the mix.  Speakers are non negotiable - I'm married and the wife won't go for anything else. Would I notice much of a difference if I were to say swap out the Carver to a McIntosh 6300 -6500? I'm looking for something mainstream that won't break the bank. Thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks

malibupacific
Pandora is a low-quality digital source! I'd avoid it and get a subscription to Tidal. And a better DAC (used), of course! Ditch the equalizer and sub. Equalizers just screw-up the phase (time) response. Most music has too little information below 30-35 hz to make a sub necessary! The Carver electronics are dated but acceptable. Speakers are a weak link here! I'd replace them with a pair of the newer Ohm Walsh's. Superior 3-d imaging from anywhere in your room!
Too bad you don't have a nice CD collection! I'd recommend a good used player. I prefer that over streaming! With streaming you never know the provenance of the recording (how close to the master source it came from).
For digital sources such as streaming from Tidal, Spotify, etc., I think you’ll get that extra “pop” if you add something like a Bluesound Node2 ($500) and a subscription to Tidal HiFi service ($20/month). Start there and see if that meets your needs. It’s hard (and not wise) to try to compensate for a poor source by adding better electronics downstream in the system. My experience.

I wish I could change out the speakers - but I'll have to get a divorce first... Talk to me about a DAC. That seems like an improvement that won't cost an arm and a leg. I saw a Wyred 4 Sound one for sale on the site for $475. I've also read some good things about a Schitt Bitfrost. Both are within the budget. I do have a Sony Hi- Res. Walkman loaded with FLAC files on it... This it will make a noticeable
difference?

Thanks!