Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

nsp, I liked "Harvey's Tune" but it was way too short, just as I was getting into it, it was over.

We both share a love for "Soulful Strut"; I have so many memories of good times in "Bistros" with that song in the background.

On "Alberts Shuffle", I thought that was "Albert King"; my favorite blues man.

I remember when I thought the South Side of Chicago was heaven on earth.
One more fourteen hour flight on my way back from China and with dicey WiFi. Spending a Fourth of July in that country, as interesting as it is, made the fact that posting on sites like Audiogon is blocked by their government particularly meaningful. So, catching up on the posts of the last few days; good way to pass the time.

First, thanks all for all the great clips.

Rok,

**** Did Ellington know before hand, what Gonsalves would blow, during his ’interval’ at Newport? ****

Later:

**** Since this was such an important moment for the Ellington Band, I just wondered if The Duke knew it was coming. ****

Two completely different questions, no? I already explained why Duke might know some of what Gonsalves would blow because I don’t think a simple “yes” would have been very meaningful. That nuts and bolts thing is the only way to explain why Duke might know. In answer to your second question:

Of course he would have known it was coming. Solo orders or who is going to be featured is always preplanned; especially for recordings. That chart was Gonsalves’ feature and Duke always introduced it as such.

**** This music was first played in the whore houses of New Orleans. So, to which "Technical elements" or "Technical flaws" are you referring? ****

I’m sure there was both good and bad playing at places like Ruby’s. I find that sometimes bad playing (or singing) gets a free pass because the music fits into a certain style or time period that the particular listener happens to like a lot. Imo, there are too many examples of great music with playing that is without significant technical flaws to bother with the flawed. “There’s usually a reason why...”. But, that’s just me.

**** The ’putdown’ that Pops was ’just an entertainer’ was started by the so-called ’angry’ progressive/noise makers from the NYC Jazz crowd. ****

I don’t think so. This was a notion held by people with limited knowledge about the music and its history; and how it evolved. They would see Pops on television and that is pretty much the extent of the association. This misconception began well before there were any what you consider “noisemakers”. The significance of Louis Armstrong in jazz has always been understood by anyone who has more than very casual appreciation of it and its history; and his place in it is just as significant as things like the fact that Bird and Diz “invented” bebop.

Alex, I saw Johnny Griffin twice at the Village Vanguard back in the late ‘80s. His playing was fantastic, but I can’t really say that it was “better” than what I hear in his recordings.

You ask some interesting questions.

**** Does the lack of interaction with ’public’ and life itself on more intimate and every day level makes the todays jazz different than one from before? ****

While I am not sure I would characterize it as “lack of interaction”, the answer has to be “of course”. Art is always a reflection of the times; this has been discussed before, However, that is not what determines its ultimate quality. Any one listener may not like what the music is saying (reflecting), but it may still be great music; and that same listener may or may not appreciate that fact.

**** Is it possible for an art form to grow without such relation and does that makes jazz ’dead’ except as an form of expression of people who are practicing it ? ****

Jazz is growing. Again, one may not like it, but it’s growing alright. And contrary to a recent mistaken assertion it is growing in the US probably more than anywhere else. As it should be; it’s its birthplace.

**** But, their form of expression is very different

Is it possible to apply the same analogy to jazz, because except for the same instrumets and similar conception in performance, we are looking/hearing at two very different types of music, but we are calling them by the same name? ****

Much of Coltrane’s music is every bit as, or more, “different” from the music of Louis Armstrong or even Charlie Parker. Are they not both “Jazz”?

Thanks for the link to the book; I will check it out.

As far as some of the other notable posts go, I was reminded recently by someone very wise of this great George Bernard Shaw quote:

”I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. ...”
——————————————
One of my favorite tenor sounds; and one of the all-time greatest story tellers. He kills me every time with the way he builds a solo like a great story:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLP9osh3Z1g&list=PLE1SK0O9FkE6WskguWMTWEFvrz0UZiJOU&index=2

nsp
I started buying Hiromi recordings back in 2006 starting with the "Brain" sessions. Telarc was her label for a long time and the CD's Brain, Spiral, Time Control, and Beyond Standard were all released in a hybrid SACD format. At that time it was the only way they were released and usually for 15-20 dollars. I like the sessions with "Sonicbloom" backing her as it added the electric guitar virtuoso David "Fuze" Fiuczynski. All of her trio sessions are also awesome usually with Anthony Jackson on electric bass and Simon Phillips on the drum kit. No introduction is needed for those two!!!

My personal
favorite session "Beyond Standard" with "Sonicbloom"
I saw them for that album tour at the Blue Note NYC and they tore it up down there. Here is a snippet from the Amazon blurb:

Hiromi's supergroup, Sonicbloom, has shattered the formula of making records written solely by the celebrated pianist/composer. Their latest outing, "Beyond Standard," finds Tony Grey (bass), Martin Valihora (drums), and Dave "Fuze" Fiuczynski (guitar and otherworldly sounds) helping Hiromi craft unique versions of familiar tunes such as Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm," Rogers & Hammerstein's "My Favorite Things" and even Jeff Beck's "Led Boots."

The group has been recognized for its energetic virtuosity by music industry and mainstream publications alike: Downbeat, JazzTimes, Keyboard, and The New York Times. Playing festivals such as Glastonbury, Fuji Rock, and Playboy Jazz proves that Hiromi's unique fusion nuevo has been accepted in the world of jazz as well as rock. "Beyond Standard" is a showcase for Hiromi and her band's abilities, with each player getting plenty of room to shine.

I don't have regular cd versions of her first half dozen recording sessions to compare with my SACD version on an A-B basis so I could not tell you if the sound quality is better.

pjw, thanks for the focus on Hiromi.  I had heard a couple of things by her in the past and for no particular reason I didn’t follow up  Very impressive very high energy playing.  A melting pot of many styles and piano playing with the technical precision of a player with a strong Classical background.  Pretty impressive stuff:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCniYVLlXs