Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
nsp
I started buying Hiromi recordings back in 2006 starting with the "Brain" sessions. Telarc was her label for a long time and the CD's Brain, Spiral, Time Control, and Beyond Standard were all released in a hybrid SACD format. At that time it was the only way they were released and usually for 15-20 dollars. I like the sessions with "Sonicbloom" backing her as it added the electric guitar virtuoso David "Fuze" Fiuczynski. All of her trio sessions are also awesome usually with Anthony Jackson on electric bass and Simon Phillips on the drum kit. No introduction is needed for those two!!!

My personal
favorite session "Beyond Standard" with "Sonicbloom"
I saw them for that album tour at the Blue Note NYC and they tore it up down there. Here is a snippet from the Amazon blurb:

Hiromi's supergroup, Sonicbloom, has shattered the formula of making records written solely by the celebrated pianist/composer. Their latest outing, "Beyond Standard," finds Tony Grey (bass), Martin Valihora (drums), and Dave "Fuze" Fiuczynski (guitar and otherworldly sounds) helping Hiromi craft unique versions of familiar tunes such as Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm," Rogers & Hammerstein's "My Favorite Things" and even Jeff Beck's "Led Boots."

The group has been recognized for its energetic virtuosity by music industry and mainstream publications alike: Downbeat, JazzTimes, Keyboard, and The New York Times. Playing festivals such as Glastonbury, Fuji Rock, and Playboy Jazz proves that Hiromi's unique fusion nuevo has been accepted in the world of jazz as well as rock. "Beyond Standard" is a showcase for Hiromi and her band's abilities, with each player getting plenty of room to shine.

I don't have regular cd versions of her first half dozen recording sessions to compare with my SACD version on an A-B basis so I could not tell you if the sound quality is better.

pjw, thanks for the focus on Hiromi.  I had heard a couple of things by her in the past and for no particular reason I didn’t follow up  Very impressive very high energy playing.  A melting pot of many styles and piano playing with the technical precision of a player with a strong Classical background.  Pretty impressive stuff:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCniYVLlXs
orpheus10
Your reference to Albert King is appropriate . Th e guitarist on "Albert's Shuffle",  MiKe Bloomfield, was a well respected & popular blues guitarist .He w as born in Chicago , played with many oF the popular blues artists who resided there. He made his reputation playing in clubs "BigvJohns" and "Magoos". He helped to popularize blues in the 60's but unfortunately died of a drug overdose in 1981.Agreed "Harvey's Tune" was way too short. Would have liked to have seen it stretched out with some solos. It was just an added tun e at the end of the session where leader Al Kooper graciously gave bass player Harvey Brooks time for a tune he had written.
pjw
Thanks for the specific Hiromi titles it gives me something to work with. She must b e great to see live very dynamic lots of energy.
Regarding her sacd hybrids i should have been more specific. Was curious if you had compared the sacd layer with the cd layer on the same disc. In other words switched from sacd to cd  using the hybrid if your system plays both cd and sacd.

Maybe I should have asked if you think Ellington anticipated, or was he surprised, at the crowds reaction to Gonsalves' Interval.

They say it was a near riot.  That's 'Riot' in the context of Newport, not Riot as in Chicago.

I understand a few deck chairs were knocked over due to the crowds exuberance.

*****But, that’s just me.*****

Agreed.

Cheers