HAVE ALL SALES STOPPED ON AUDIOGON ???

I haven't sold hardly anything in a month, is anyone else having that problem,or is it me........autospec
autospec
Aolmrd,

Yes certainly the lovely ladies with the cover art from Pink Floyds Albums painted on their backs are great attention getters.  In this thread a few people has asked to buy the picture which I have framed hanging above my turntables.  As mention this is readily available as a raw poster here

https://www.abposters.com/posters/pink-floyd-back-catalogue-v157?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnZXbBRC8ARIsABEYg6C6E...

There is also a article about how this painting came to be here 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/outtakes-storm-thorgerson-designer-on-pink-floyds-back-cata...

I do think the price used as an attention getter too - has impact on the number of clicks the ad has garnered - however so far no-one has offered a reasonable price for any of the preamps.  Im running a similar type ad for a CDTransport/DAC combo with a MSRP of $16K this one has not received as many clicks - possibly because of the Artwork used as the attention getter and also I believe Transports are clearly out of favor these days as most people stream.    This ad has received 3 offers so far one for $450, which was possibly just to be a smart ass back at me, one for $1000 and then one that was half serious at $3000 which is half of what I'd be willing to let it go for.  

Good Listening

Peter 

The Audiophile world is alive and well, at the same time the HEA world is declining (dying) fast. No surprise! What is a surprise though is how long the over priced market was able to hang in there, new and used. The decline actually started back in the mid 90's but the used market boom kept things going for the audio closet collectors. Keep in mind there's a difference between a high price trophy collector and an audiophile listener.

What you don't see a lot of on these types of sites and forums are the hundreds of thousands who gave up the revolving door chase years ago as they settled into their listening enjoyment and canceled their membership in the amp of the month club (some would say amp of the month scam).

A while ago there was a thread talking about the long lists of owned equipment members had over a period of time. Some of the lists were viewed as a badge of honor if you went through a gazillion brands and or models. But the ones that I found the most interesting were the lists where you could see a path of successful listening instead of the guy who changes out his products before his caps, resistors and other parts had enough time on them to even break a sweat.

You know, you see many guys in HEA that say how long they've been doing this audio trading, never settling in to "their" sound, never truly even understanding stereo. If I was part of the next generation of Audiophile you wouldn't catch me taking advice from someone who has been doing this forever and still can't find their happy place. I don't see the next generation of listeners biting of the same apple. Thank God!

mg

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

this is a Buyers market without buyers

Hi- End Audio market is not working, and things will shrink more and more
There are no new audiophiles.
Old audiophiles have enough gears that cost a lot, and nobody want to buy from them
So, who will want or needs to buy more gears
There is no need for those funny prices gears.

The issue of high prices kills the market
Hight prices means low quantities-
Low numbers of new gears mean high prices- that is a general economic fact

If you had paid a lot for your gear-you are going to loss a lot when you  sale it and for what? to buy a new one with high price to loss a lot again when you will sale it ......
So- the high prices= low new sales numbers killed the market

These two posts above combined easily make an explanation for half of the used market, or market altogether, troubles. Add other distractions (computers, phones, etc.) and who is left to buy an amplifier that costs, used, as much as a quarter of an average USA family income? Ok, that may be exaggeration, but prices of new, and consequentially used, equipment are repelling to anybody but die-hards.

The part to emphasize from the posts above is that there may be lots of people (maybe really hundreds of thousands) out there who have decent systems, but have no interest in carrying around new speakers and amplifiers bi-monthly, and probably losing money while doing it. They settle with what they have, sometimes even quite expensive, and live with it for 15 years. They go through 4-5 amplifiers in life and do not feel they have missed much. The crowd that changes things often, chasing some special sound, must be very small. If for no other reason, then because college tuition is going up, it seems like, daily.
Ohala,

Excellent observation, however are you buying the equipment for reselling or are you buying it to enjoy it.

Good Listening

Peter

I am not speculator. I would like to have equipment as a store of value as much as possible so I can have flexibility to try different models. While its not a sellers market, it is also not much of buyer’s market, in my opinion. Prices are not consistent and buying certain makes and models like catching a falling knife, to steal a market analyst phrase.

While not the root cause the used market rapidly declined after Audiogon switched its business model. In the days where ads cost a few dollars many models were continuously being traded and prices were better known.