Harbeth 30.1 ? The Ultimate Speaker under $5K ?

I have been on a mission lately to find the best speakers within my budget - under $5K ...I am definitely an audio freak and my sound engineer in LA told me we went to a HiFi convention of sorts in Newport and heard every high end boutique speaker there is and hands down the Harbeth 30.1 was the best...thought it was a live band as he turned the corner into room ! 

Local hiFi high end shops always push whatever they deal....guy near me recommends Paradigm Prestige 95s but the seem more for home theatre use...here's my profile: 

I listen MOSTLY to LPs (stream on occasion with Audioengine B1)
Marantz PM-11S1 Mono Block Amp
Sony STR-V7 Amp
Technics SL-15 
1 SVS SB1000 Sub (if necessary) 
My listening room : is approximately 15 feet from Hifi to sitting position, wood floors , pitched ceiling about 10-15 feet in spots ...entire room approx 30 feet across . I consider it a VERY live, reflective space. 

I am a drummer so I love fat , tight kick drum. Rock i.e.: Rush , Prince, old 70s / 80s fusion/Jazz  
I listen to all different volume levels, sometimes low, sometimes I turn up music very loud and crappy speakers always seem to lose definition at high volume . 

I currently have some NHTs 2.3 & Infinity IL60s for surround....

Is the Harbeth 30.1 too small of a speaker for my spot?  what do you guys recommend! Thank You !
128x128tommypenngotti
HELOMECH ...here’s the deal with that , its a trap to a degree , once you get the 30.1’s , Harbeth comes out with the BETTER bigger, ones 40.1 , then 40.2’s ....I want to buy something and be done with it , not worry that the upgraded model is so much better....but you’re right 40.1 better for my room for sure...40.2! $15K! done :) BTW , most of the people I’ve talked to on Audiomart selling their 30.1’s are upgrading to 40.1 or 40.2 !

I called Klipsch and they referred me to a place in Sacramento that may have their Heritage lines on floor....if not I’ll definitely get to LA eventually to scope out...thanks!

They make small changes periodically, like every 8 years or so, if that. I can’t imagine the difference would be worth replacing a pair of .1s. I also doubt they’ll be coming out with a larger model anytime in the near future.

If you’re patient, you could probably find a near-mint pair of Spendor SP100s for under $4K - approximately same size as 40.1s and better sounding IMO - better than some $20K speakers. However, they too are not really designed for hard rock. The Spendor D7s might just fit your needs - British midrange with some real bass power.

When I was in Sac last year, the only Hi-Fi dealers were Magnolia - inside Best Buy, and Paradyme Sight and Sound. Neither had Klipsch Heritage, but hopefully that’s changed. Good luck.
Hi, Harbeth has a passive studio version of the 40.2 that is quite less expensive. Not the great looks of course.

And why not try to hear the JBL LSR 6332 passive studio monitors. They with a sub would also play you out of your room :-) Can be had used within your budget. 

If you're locked into Harbeth Imo the bigger SHL5's might do better in your room.
Personally if my budget was $5k I'd get a new pair of Elac Adante AF-61 speakers.
@tom_hankins If you read above, the OP did audition the SHL5s and gave his impressions. He would consider them, used, and would use a sub with them. Enjoy ! MrD.
The 40.1's and .2's are a big physical presence in a room.  You can look at the dimensions and even mark them out on the floor in painter's tape, but you need to see them to appreciate how imposing they are.  If your room can accommodate them, they are great (in my opinion).  They need a couple of feet each way away from side ways, 3' even better.  I am led to believe the .1's can be boomy in smaller rooms, the .2's tamed that.  That being said, there are some good deals to be had on .1's.  The Spendor SP100 Mk1's are in some respects more like that classic sound than the Mk2's, if you can find a pair without too many miles on them.