Speaker Help

I'm looking for speakers with a nice soft delivery. Meaning full range but not harsh. Some might say a lush midrange. I have a 13' x 16' room and can't use an extremely large speaker. On the other hand I want more than a monitor. I use an aesthetix calypso pre and a modified McCormack DNA-1 amp. Would be buying used. Speakers I have tried; Aerial 8, Vandersteen 2 old version, Gershman rx20 and Salk HT3.thanks for the help.
dpm2340
Budget?  Given your stated preferences I have to ask what you didn't like about the Gershmans?  What are your source components?  The more info you give, the better responses you'll get here. 

my budget would probably top out around $3500. No I'm not looking to change amps or pre. The Vandy 2 would be my starting point. But where do I go up from there. I know the 3. I have never heard Sonus Fabers. I do like the Olympica II but do they have any bass? They may be slightly over what I want to spend. The Gershmans were fine. The problem I had was with that "lady" that acts like she's doing you a favor by not helping you when you call them. I've never heard Proacs either.
Yogiboy is on the right track, but go with the new Spendor A4 -- killer speaker for the price - excellent British midrange but with some real bass punch and depth. They're one of the most well-rounded speakers I've heard in recent years.