Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Deutscher Violin Concerto - 3rd Movement w/Israeli Philharmonic (Roni Porat conductor w/Alma Deutscher violinist)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zad7fkhGzzs&frags=pl%2Cwn

Mozart Piano Concerto No. 8 (K.246) - Israeli Philharmonic (Porat conductor; Deutscher pianist)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxUI4DeoWGg&frags=pl%2Cwn

Thanks to Pokey77 for the introduction to Alma’s remarkable talent.
I’ve discovered a great way to deal with an intimidatingly large collection of CDs and records.
 It would take much longer time than I have on this earth to go through them all, so I’ve found a way to really enjoy the variety.
What I do is, without looking, just reach blindly for a disc on the wall and, no matter what it is, play it through in its entirety.
 It’s amazing how enjoyable this is.  Things which I would not ordinarily choose become currently viable.  After all, I bought them for a reason. There’s no reason I shouldn’t like them!
I found that when I conciously pick a selection, I’m very choosy, considering the sound quality far too often.  This way, it’s like getting a new present all the time.
Re-discovering wonderful performances I’d forgotten about (and, coincidentally, enjoying the sound quality for what it is, more than I would have if I had been searching for good sonics.) 
I highly recommend this procedure! 
I’ve been ranting for decades that Hindemith is the most neglected of all the masters of the last century !The greatest recording of his Violin Concerto IMO is Oistrakh  /LSO/ Horenstein .
But to be honest I never cared for either Bernstein or Stern .Bernstein as a matter of taste, Stern I saw with the Cleveland and was
very much let down .
rvp, I 've been using you method for last week , it really has improved mylistening fun !