Small or large sub for music

I've been using a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s to supplement KEF LS50s below 50 Hz, but I read that larger subs are better for music because the cone needs excursion.  Is there any truth to this?  I have a pair of HGS-15s that I could use to supplement the LS50s or Reference 1s (below 40 Hz) if I go there.  The HGS-15s do HT superbly.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
"More important, IMO, is to have a SEALED sub for music."

Can anyone provide a supportable reason for this, or is this just an ad nauseum repeating of inaccurate information?
Yes, it’s a myth. I’ve got two of these ported Talon Roc 2002 monsters for my 2/ch rig in my small/moderate size room. 140 lbs each. After years of owning just one, I was astounded to discover how much I was missing when I added the 2nd. Now, I easily hear rhythm, timbre and texture - way down deep. It’s especially great at low volume listening. No boominess. No one-note thumping. No DSP. It did take a while to integrate them seamlessly.
Subwoofers are a bad solution for inadequate speakers. They are mutually exclusive with high fidelity because they can never perfectly integrate. Some people and rappers don’t care about sound quality. Low-Fi is fine for them. For the rest of us, subwoofers only belong in the home theatre. 
They are mutually exclusive with high fidelity because they can never perfectly integrate.

<< cough >> bs << cough >>

Just because you have never known how doesn’t mean it is not possible. However, it takes high degrees of skill and experience. It is quite closely related to speaker crossover design. This is why I often believe that avoiding the sub is a better option for many. That’s not the same thing as saying it cannot be done. It is glorious when done right, but few live to hear it.

Best,

E
Subwoofers are a bad solution for inadequate speakers. They are mutually exclusive with high fidelity because they can never perfectly integrate. Some people and rappers don’t care about sound quality. Low-Fi is fine for them. For the rest of us, subwoofers only belong in the home theatre.

Another clueless statement! Zero understanding of the importance of room interaction.

Many contemporary full-range speakers (very high-end) now have amps built-in to the cabinets - with EQ capabilities - to expressly drive the woofers. This design allows better implementation/integration with room issues.

Using separate subs with stand-mounted monitors or two-way floor standers have the advantage of moving the subs to the optimum location in the room - allowing the system to be full range.
sleepwalker6519 posts08-21-2018 8:22pmSubwoofers are a bad solution for inadequate speakers. They are mutually exclusive with high fidelity because they can never perfectly integrate. Some people and rappers don’t care about sound quality. Low-Fi is fine for them. For the rest of us, subwoofers only belong in the home theatre.
You know I always thought that Wilson, Magico, and Vandersteen were Low-Fi with their subwoofers blasting along with their statement products at audio shows.

Thanks for clearing that up.