Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I know that the subject of Wagner can be a very volatile  one.
If one associates Wagner with Nazism it is inevitable to have a reaction.
 I, personally, feel that we have to dissociate the music from the man.
 I know music does not exist in isolation.  It is intensely human.
But, even though I’m a non-believer, I still think music comes from a higher place.
It exists on a different plane.  It’s as though it’s channeled through people and to people on a different level.
 People are ephemeral, music is forever.

Let's move on. I suggest a competition.

Who can identify the most beautiful horn solo in the orchestral repertoire? We can all suggest our favorites and learsfool will judge the winner.

Am suggesting this because I just got a new recording of the Tchaikovsky symphonies and was reminded of the horn solo in the 5th symphony, beginning of the 2nd movement. My bid for the most beautiful -- not the longest or hardest, but most beautiful. Doesn't hurt that the rest of this movement is spectacular with one of the great string crescendos of all time and the unexpected sfz brass attack toward the end that thrills.

So you pundits can outdo me with ease. What's your favorite for the most beautiful horn solo? Got to be a solo, Got to be an orchestral passage.

Wagner as performed by Berliner and Vienna during the Golden Age had the best horns AND the best cello solo (Die Walkure). 
I wouldn’t presume to designate it as the most beautiful orchestral horn solo, but at or near the top of my personal list would be the one at the beginning of the Finale of Stravinsky’s "Firebird Suite."

Also, there are certainly some beautiful moments for horn in the last movement of Brahms’ Symphony No. 1.

The fact that those works as a whole are among my favorite classical compositions, especially in the case of Brahms’ First, certainly contributes to my feelings about their horn passages.

Best regards,
-- Al

P.S: Learsfool, great to see that you’ve joined the thread!