Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
P.P.S: Although I believe two horns are playing during most of its "solo" horn passages perhaps Ravel’s "Pavane pour une infante défunte" might nevertheless be considered to fit within the ground rules Craig stated. If so I would consider it to be a strong contender.

Best regards,
-- Al
I had no idea we had such horn aficionados here. Regardless of what might be the best horn solo of all time, this guy’s CD brings the instrument to a whole different level. He’s brilliant.
I would not presume to judge such a contest - those are all very good choices, and different people will have different favorites.  I will mention one of my favorites, though, that I doubt would be mentioned by anyone but a horn player. It is near the end of the second of Strauss's Four Last Songs.  Find the Schwarzkopf recording with the Philharmonia, Ackermann conducting, but most importantly in this case, Dennis Brain playing first horn. The most exquisite short little solo I have ever heard on recordings, and a favorite of a great many horn players. The original Angel blue label (at least I think it is without getting up out of my chair to make sure) LP sounds very good, at least the two copies I own both do. It is of course also available on CD, if one must, but that is NOT the same. 

Almarg, that is most definitely a solo in the Ravel - the second horn does enter a couple of times, at first on the same pitch as the first horn, but then descending down a fifth from there, just the two notes. Most of the time it is the first horn alone, though.  For me, Myron Bloom's performance of it on the Szell/Cleveland recording was perhaps the most beautiful of his recorded orchestral solos. 

Cleeds, Adam is a great player. He mostly teaches now - full time major professor at the University of Michigan - but he was a member of the Philadelphia Orchestra horn section for ten or twelve years, I think, perhaps a little longer - he was the second horn player.  
rvpiano, your comments do indeed agree with that of many scholars. Many musicians, however, hear quite a few echoes of Handel in the orchestral music of Brahms in particular. I am not denying that Bach is a heavy influence at all, of course, just that Handel's influence is more than many academics give it credit for.  
Learsfool,

By any chance have you ever come across hornist, Doug Lyons.
He is an extraordinary player. 
I once played harpsichord continuo to his flawless rendering of the trumpet part of Bach’s 2nd Brandenburg Concerto transcribed to the horn.