Help with kef r900 issue

I bought a pair of kef r900 speakers from kefdirect in April 2018. I enjoy them most of the time, but with some vocals, e.g., Alan Jackson, Allison Krauss and Mary Chaplin Carpenter, at nearly any level, they sometimes make a ripping, tearing or distorted sound that is hard to describe. Initially, I used a McIntosh MC202 with 200 rms, and now a Rotel RB 1590, with identical results. Initially, I used a very old Transparent Musiclink cable and now a Transparent Plus, again with identical results. I’m about to dump these unless I can figure it out since KEF has no one in the NW to repair them and they advise against paying to ship them (I agree). Before I write them off as a bad bargain, theories are solicited! Thanks
128x128maritime51
Thanks! I have my opinions, and others theirs’, though I’ve decades of experience in the field of defending products.

I replaced a 20 year old pair of Martin Logan speakers with the R900, and offered a bargain price to the buyer so they didn’t go to a dumpster.

I may do the same with these as otherwise they are lovely to listen to, but I can’t live with this-it is as irritating as nails on a chalkboards! 😱

Unless someone has some non speculative opinion on cause and origin, I suggest we treat the issue as unresolved, but done. 
It’s a big risk to buy without demo,if you don’t like the Kef sell them .what you're describing is typical to overbright speakers .Next time make sure to make a demo before buying.
Uh, what does overbright mean in this context?

I did hear them at a local Magnolia. 
This sounds more like some kind of distortion, as one moment the sound is detailed, focused and beautiful, and the next it is a harsh, ripping or raspy, edgy sound bearing no “resemblance” to a human voice. Again, note this first happed with my original Mac gear, and continued....
If it happened to one of the speaker it must be defective one but you are saying both speakers have thisamdvit never distortion and that you never experienced this before so it's very strange,Did you try to change cables?